Chidambaram’s efforts will help revive growth: FICCIAugust 7th, 2012 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 7 (IANS) Enthused by Finance Minister P. Chidambaram’s assurance of fine-tuning policies, industry body FICCI Tuesday said this would help revive economic growth.
“It is quite obvious that he means business and has immediately put himself in the task of re-igniting the growth triggers of the economy,” said R.V. Kanoria, president, Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI).
“There is a sense of urgency that we could see in the finance minister’s address and FICCI would like to lend its complete support in achieving the goals that have been set by the finance minister,” Kanoria said.
In his first media interaction after assuming the charge of finance portfolio Chidambaram Monday said the government would fine-tune policies to meet expectations of different stakeholders and revive growth.
Kanoria said FICCI would work with the government in its endeavor to revive the economy and put India back on a high growth path.
India’s economic growth slumped to nine-year low of 5.3 percent in the quarter ended March. For fiscal 2011-12, India’s GDP expanded by 6.5 percent, substantially down from 8.4 percent growth registered in the previous year.
The growth is likely to remain sluggish in the current financial year as well. The Reserve Bank of India last week lowered its growth outlook to 6.5 percent.
“We have developed a detailed 12 point agenda that touches upon some of the areas mentioned both by the finance minister and earlier by the prime minister,” Kanoria said.
- Chidambaram to fine-tune investment policies, spur growth (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Chidambaram hints at modifying tax norms, cut deficit (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Government to modify policies to meet investors' expectations - Aug 06, 2012
- Economic woes are largely due to domestic factors: FICCI - Jun 04, 2012
- Factory output dips by 1.8 percent in June (Roundup) - Aug 09, 2012
- Industrial output grows 4.1 percent; rate cut possible (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Don't draw unwarranted conclusions, PM tells rating agencies - Aug 11, 2012
- Need to take measures, says Pranab on poor IIP data (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- PM directs steps to revive growth and reverse pessimism (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- India's industrial output dips 3.5 percent in March (Roundup) - May 11, 2012
- India's industrial output up 6.8 percent in January (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Interest rate not main reason for growth slowdown: RBI - Jun 08, 2012
- India's industrial output drops by 1.8 percent in June (Lead) - Aug 09, 2012
- Crisil cuts India's economic growth forecast to 6.5 percent - Jun 04, 2012
- FICCI calls for radical policy reforms in energy sector - May 07, 2012
Tags: bank of india, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, economic growth, enthused, ficci, finance minister, finance portfolio, growth outlook, growth path, indian chambers of commerce, media interaction, New Delhi, p chidambaram, point agenda, previous year, quarter ended march, reserve bank of india, sense of urgency, stakeholders