Chidambaram to meet bank chiefs WednesdayAugust 11th, 2008 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 11 (IANS) Finance Minister P. Chidambaram is expected to take stock of the farm loan waiver scheme and the performance of banks during a meeting here Wednesday with chiefs of the 28 state-owned banks in India. Although no formal agenda has been announced, the finance minister is expected to review the banks’ first quarter performance, a news posting on the finance ministry website said.
Chidambaram is also expected ask banks to continue ensuring the flow of home loans and access to low-cost deposits during the meeting.
Recent media reports have speculated that the country’s largest bank, the State Bank of India (SBI), will likely take a decision on hiking its benchmark prime lending rate after the meeting.
While many banks have already hiked their prime lending rates following the recent increase in the amount that banks must hold in reserve (the cash reserve ratio) and the repo rate - the rate at which India’s central bank the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) lends to banks - the SBI has so far refrained from increasing its own benchmark rate.
The RBI increased the CRR and the repo rate July 29 during its quarterly review of monetary policy.
- RBI hikes key rates by 0.25 percent to curb inflation - Jan 25, 2011
- India's central bank frees more money for credit (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- SBI hikes lending rates, EMIs to rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Price stability needed to sustain growth: Pranab - Jun 16, 2011
- SBI gets government nod for rights issue - Jun 08, 2011
- RBI keeps key rates unchanged as inflation persists - Jul 31, 2012
- India's central bank frees more money for credit - Mar 09, 2012
- RBI'S interest rate hikes for taming inflation: Meena - Aug 05, 2011
- Inflation, fiscal deficit leave little room for rate cut - Jul 29, 2012
- Inflation too high, says RBI; defends tight money policy (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Shifting focus to growth, RBI infuses Rs.320 bn into system (Roundup) - Jan 24, 2012
- India's central bank infuses more money into system (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- CRR cut will ease liquidity problems, says Pranab - Jan 24, 2012
- Indian central bank hikes policy rates again to curb inflation - Mar 17, 2011
- RBI expected to cut key lending rates to spur growth - Jun 17, 2012
Tags: bank chiefs, bank of india, banks in india, benchmark rate, cash reserve ratio, crr, farm loan, finance minister, finance ministry, formal agenda, home loans, ministry website, prime lending rate, prime lending rates, quarter performance, repo rate, reserve bank of india, s central, sbi, state bank of india