Chidambaram should face contempt of court trial: SwamyAugust 23rd, 2012 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 23 (IANS) Janata Party president Subramanian Swamy Thursday moved the Supreme Court seeking initiation of contempt of court proceedings against Finance Minister P. Chidambaram for allegedly trying to prevent him from pursuing the 2G cases.
Swamy said that Chidambaram was allegedly responsible for the filing of a defamation case against him in Singapore.
Swamy made a mentioning of his petition before the apex court bench of Justice G.S. Singhvi and Justice S.J. Mukhopadhaya, seeking suo motu initiation of contempt proceedings against Chidambaram.
The Janata Party president said that Advantage Strategic Consulting Singapore, controlled by Chidambaram’s son Kirit P. Chidambaram, has filed a defamation case against him for pointing to questionable transactions between the company and telecom company Aircel.
Swamy told the court that he had approached Attorney General G.E. Vahanvati and Solicitor General Rohinton Nariman for their consent to initiate contempt proceedings against the finance minister.
But both of them declined to give consent for differing reasons as they were either engaged in the 2G case or had counselled some parties involved in the case earlier, Swamy said.
In such a situation, the court could take suo motu cognizance and initiate contempt proceedings against Chidambaram, he said.
The court said it would hear him only after his petition was numbered by the registry.
Swamy later said that if any defamation proceedings were to be initiated against him, these could be initiated in India as Advantage Strategic Consulting Singapore was a wholly-owned subsidiary of Advantage Strategic Consulting India.
The matter is likely to come up Friday.
- SC to resume hearing of 2G related matters Sep 27 - Sep 20, 2012
- Supreme Court okays contempt case against lawyer - Jul 14, 2010
- Chidambaram allocated extra spectrum to 2G licence holders: Swamy - Apr 20, 2012
- Swamy moves SC to make Chidambaram an accused - Feb 24, 2012
- Congress slams Swamy, says Chidambaram clean - Aug 24, 2012
- SC rejects Swamy's plea against Chidambaram (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Supreme Court endorses party stance on 2G: Congress (Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- No proof to try Chidambaram in 2G case: Court - Feb 04, 2012
- 'Explain turnaround on Dayanidhi Maran' (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- SC dismisses Swamy's plea against Chidambaram (Third Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Clean chit to Chidambaram in 2G scam (Roundup) - Feb 04, 2012
- 'Explain turnaround on Dayanidhi Maran' - Apr 11, 2012
- Contempt plea against Mamata on judiciary remarks (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- 2G case: Order reserved on Swamy's plea (Lead) - Dec 03, 2011
- Shanti Bhushan moves contempt proceeding against Amar Singh (Lead) - Apr 18, 2011
Tags: aircel, apex, apex court, cognizance, contempt of court, contempt proceedings, court bench, court proceedings, court trial, defamation case, finance minister, initiation, janata party president, kirit, nariman, p chidambaram, solicitor general, strategic consulting, subramanian swamy, telecom company