Chidambaram expected to head EGoM on spectrumJuly 6th, 2012 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 6 (IANS) Home Minister P. Chidambaram could head the Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM) on telecom which has been tasked to take crucial decisions on issues related to the 2G spectrum auction.
Official sources here said the EGoM, reconstituted after Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar opted out, will have Communications Minister Kapil Sibal, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, Law Minister Salman Khurshid, and Minister of State in the Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy as members.
The ministerial group will decide only on the auction modalities and the final decision on the reserve price of the spectrum will be taken by the cabinet, the sources said, though no date has been fixed for the EGoM meeting.
Earlier this week, the cabinet could not decide on a proposal to charge a one-time, auction-determined fee for all airwaves held by existing operators and referred it to the EGoM.
The Supreme Court Feb 2 ordered cancellation of 122 licences issued in 2008 and asked the telecom department to redistribute these through an auction process. The current deadline for the autions as stated by the apex court is Aug 31, but looking at the prevailing scenario, the industry and analysts are apprehensive about the government holding the auction in time.
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging - Jul 12, 2012
- EGoM to recommend spectrum price, but cabinet to take call - Jul 20, 2012
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- Telecom EGoM to recommend lower reserve price to cabinet for approval (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Cabinet refers one-time spectrum fee issue to EGoM - Jul 03, 2012
- 2G spectrum base price decision deferred till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore spectrum reserve price (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- EGoM defers decision on one-time spectrum fee issue - Jul 24, 2012
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- Government wants 2G auction deadline extended to November - Aug 07, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore as spectrum auction base price - Aug 03, 2012
- Telecom tariffs to rise 37 to 49 paise at Rs.1,400 crore reserve price: COAI - Aug 06, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- 2G: Process for selection of auctioneer approved - May 01, 2012
- Government for extending 2G auction deadline to November (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, ambika soni, apex court, autions, crucial decisions, defence minister, feb 2, final decision, home minister, kapil sibal, khurshid, law minister, minister of state, ministerial group, modalities, salman, sharad pawar, spectrum auction, telecom department, time auction