Chhattisgarh wants its small towns on the air mapSeptember 14th, 2009 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Sep 14 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh government has sought proposals from private airlines to fly small planes to small industrial towns, plus towns in Maoist-hit parts of the state.
The civil aviation department of the state government has asked private airlines to submit proposals by the end of the month. It wants to connect state capital Raipur to industrial towns Korba and Raigarh, other towns like Bilaspur and Jashpur, plus two towns in the Maoist-hit belt — Jagdalpur in Bastar district and Ambikapur in Surguja district.
An official said the civil aviation department intends to begin the operations by October on two routes — Raipur-Bilaspur-Korba-Raigarh-Jashpur-Ambikapur and Raipur-Jagdalpur. He said air strips are already available in these towns for small planes.
The Chhattisgarh government had sought proposals in 2007 also but the plans failed to take off as airlines sought loss-compensation in case of few passengers. Now the state government has offered to compensate them.
The official expected proposed flight services to be successful as hundreds of businessmen travel from Raipur to industrial towns of Korba and Raigarh every day. The businessmen based in the state capital waste at least six hours to beat heavy road traffic day after day, he added.
Korba, 246 km north of Raipur, has several thermal power plants and Raigarh, 243 km northeast, has dozens of steel and sponge iron units.
- Chhattisgarh towns to be connected by air - Oct 21, 2009
- Traders, students join Anna's protest in Chhattisgarh - Aug 18, 2011
- Chhattisgarh supports Anna, 80 court arrest (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Crowds swell in Chhattisgarh to support Anna - Aug 17, 2011
- Chhattisgarh shutdown against hiked excise duty on gold - Mar 30, 2012
- BJP-called shutdown hits normal life in Chhattisgarh - Feb 13, 2010
- Chhattisgarh Left parties rally behind Anna - Aug 23, 2011
- Explosives found in abandoned car in Chhattisgarh - Jul 14, 2011
- Chhattisgarh shutdown hits normal life (Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- Shutdown in Chhattisgarh against Ramdev's eviction - Jun 08, 2011
- 20,000 Chhattisgarh girls sold: Jogi - Nov 13, 2011
- Chhattisgarh disburses Rs.114 crore to civic bodies - Jun 26, 2009
- Jumbo herd moves in, families flee in Chhattisgarh - Jul 18, 2011
- Jumbos kill 26 in Chhattisgarh in one year - Feb 22, 2011
- Anna supporters celebrate in Chhattisgarh - Aug 28, 2011
Tags: air strips, bilaspur, businessmen, chhattisgarh government, civil aviation department, dozens, flight services, fly, jagdalpur, maoist, map, private airlines, proposals, road traffic, six hours, small planes, sponge iron, state government, thermal power plants