Chhattisgarh shutdown against hiked excise duty on goldMarch 30th, 2012 - 10:36 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 30 (IANS) A daylong shutdown Friday, called by gold traders and backed by various trade bodies, against the central government’s decision of hiking excise duty on gold in this year’s budget, affected normal life in Chhattisgarh.
Shops, petrol pumps, cinema halls and educational institutions were shut down in Raipur, Bilaspur and state’s key industrial towns Bhilai, Korba and Raigarh.
Several trade bodies and the state’s ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) had extended support to the shutdown and joined rallies across the state seeking an immediate roll-back of the excise duty.
Gold traders who have been on indefinite strike in the state for past 10 days to press for a rollback, have said in a statement that the daylong shutdown has affected gold business to the tune of nearly Rs.15 crore while Rs.60 crore-worth of trade was hit so far since the gold traders began their protest.
- Shutdown in Chhattisgarh against Ramdev's eviction - Jun 08, 2011
- Jewellers resume shutdown in Bengal, demand rollback of excise duty - Mar 29, 2012
- BJP-called shutdown hits normal life in Chhattisgarh - Feb 13, 2010
- Chhattisgarh shutdown hits normal life (Lead) - Feb 13, 2010
- Chhattisgarh shuts down against FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- Traders, students join Anna's protest in Chhattisgarh - Aug 18, 2011
- Chhattisgarh shuts down to protest Maoist massacre (Second Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Chhattisgarh Left parties rally behind Anna - Aug 23, 2011
- Shutdown affects life, coal transport in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 05, 2010
- IVRCL arm bags Rs.1,300 crore highway project - Jan 30, 2012
- Chhattisgarh shuts down to protest Maoist massacre (Lead) - Apr 08, 2010
- Magma Fincorp to disburse Rs.343 crore in Chhattisgarh - May 05, 2010
- Chhattisgarh supports Anna, 80 court arrest (Lead) - Aug 16, 2011
- Shutdown paralyses life in Chhattisgarh - Jul 05, 2010
- Anna supporters celebrate in Chhattisgarh - Aug 28, 2011
Tags: bilaspur, bjp, budget, central government, cinema halls, crore, educational institutions, excise duty, gold business, gold traders, indefinite strike, korba, petrol pumps, protest, rallies, rollback, trade bodies