Chhattisgarh in no hurry to punish corrupt IAS officerMay 29th, 2011 - 1:04 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 29 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh government is no haste to take action against a serving IAS officer accused of mind-boggling corruption, an official here said Sunday.
Babulal Agrawal has been accused by the Income Tax (IT) department of amassing assets worth Rs.253 crore, operating a whopping 473 bank accounts and floating 30 companies over the past 11 years.
The Bhopal-based IT office said in a 5,000-page report to the state government that the 1988 batch IAS officer, who hails from Kalahandi in Orissa, was sitting over a huge empire of illegal assets.
The IT report could well make Agrawal the richest bureaucrat in India.
The IT department submitted the report to the government early this year after raiding the officer’s premises in February last year.
Agrawal was then suspended from service but reinstated later. He is now a secretary in the Chhattisgarh government.
“The state government has received the IT report that has recommended action against Agrawal for having illegal assets,” an official told IANS.
He added that the Economic Offences Wing (EOW) of the state government had been asked to make its own investigation and submit a detailed report to the government.
“The state government is not in any haste to punish Agrawal. We will take a final call once the EOW report is received,” he said.
- Corrupt officer or innocent? The jury is divided - Jun 01, 2011
- Chhattisgarh bureaucrat denies having Rs.250 crore in assets - May 28, 2011
- Congress slams move to reinstate tainted bureaucrat - Jun 05, 2010
- Congress demands suspension of IAS officer with 220 accounts - Feb 08, 2010
- Tainted Chhattisgarh IAS officer suspended - Feb 11, 2010
- IAS officer has 220 bank accounts, assets in millions - Feb 06, 2010
- IAS officer with 220 bank accounts, assets worth millions (Lead) - Feb 06, 2010
- From peons to clerks, raids unveil Madhya Pradesh's millionaires - Jan 20, 2012
- Chhattisgarh junior official's illegal assets - Rs.50 mn! - Feb 16, 2011
- Case against IAS officer having Rs.930 mn-worth property - Feb 21, 2010
- Case against IAS officer having Rs.93 crore property (Lead) - Feb 21, 2010
- Official linked to 220 bank accounts reinstated (Lead) - Jun 04, 2010
- Chhattisgarh official found to own assets worth billions - Feb 04, 2010
- Bureaucrats baffled by IAS couple's Rs.300 crore empire - Jan 19, 2011
- Official booked for Rs.40 million in illegal assets - Dec 30, 2010
Tags: 11 years, agrawal, assets, bank accounts, bhopal, bureaucrat, chhattisgarh government, corruption, crore, economic offences, empire, final call, haste, hurry, income tax, India, orissa, premises, state government