Chhattisgarh blacklists private construction firmJuly 19th, 2008 - 6:30 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 19 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh government has suspended an official and blacklisted a construction company that was awarded an over Rs.100 million contract under a centrally sponsored road construction scheme in the state. Executive engineer L.C. Tamrakar was suspended and Chhattisgarh-based Balaji Constructions blacklisted after it was found that the company had just done cosmetic repairs to a 15-km road, which otherwise was supposed to be built anew, official sources said.
The sources said the construction company had been paid Rs.10.3 million for building the stretch of road in Patharia block of Bilaspur district.
According to the sources, Balaji Constructions was awarded Rs.100.6-million construction contract in the block in May 2007 under the central sponsored Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY). The company was to construct 45-km stretch of roads in seven blocks of the district.
“Reconstruction work of the 15-km road (will) be carried out by another firm now and we will recover Rs. 1.30 crore (10.3 million) that the company (Balaji Constructions) has received,” R.P. Mandal, secretary panchayat and rural development department, told IANS Saturday.
“We have taken the expose very seriously and will not let off any official if found involved,” Mandal added.
The government of India launched the PMGSY in 2000 to provide road connectivity to rural habitations as part of its poverty reduction strategy.
- Over 400 centrally-funded roads found defective in Chhattisgarh - Mar 03, 2011
- Will tailor rural roads scheme for northeast: Ramesh (Lead) - Feb 12, 2012
- Rural ministry working on village roads scheme, says Ramesh - May 19, 2012
- Govt. grants aid for construction of rural roads in Manipur - Feb 07, 2011
- Bihar allowed to construct rural roads under central scheme - Sep 16, 2011
- Chhattisgarh probes engineer's donation to Maoists - Feb 21, 2011
- 'More autonomy for states to implement rural schemes' - Apr 08, 2012
- Rs.217 crore central funds for Bihar's rural roads - Sep 23, 2010
- Kerala seeks modifications in centrally sponsored schemes - Jun 21, 2011
- Chhattisgarh creates 3,825-km roads in one year - Aug 16, 2010
- Bihar to get Rs.13.35 Crores for building roads in rural areas - Dec 07, 2009
- Essar under scanner for paying Maoists - Sep 15, 2011
- Himachal road repair hastened ahead of apple harvest - Jun 03, 2012
- Centre gives Rs.117 crore to six states for rural roads - Oct 01, 2010
- Ramesh seeks PM's help to boost roads in Maoist-hit areas - Sep 14, 2011
Tags: balaji, chhattisgarh government, construction company, construction contract, construction firm, constructions, cosmetic repairs, executive engineer, government of india, habitations, mandal, panchayat, pmgsy, poverty reduction strategy, private construction, reconstruction work, road construction, rural development department, state executive, yojana