Chevy Volt: A Winner From GM’s Stable!January 15th, 2011 - 5:38 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Jan 15, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Chevrolet Volt, the eco-friendly hybrid car from the stable of GM has played a major role in resurrecting the image of the company. Since its debut, the car is also sweeping a number of awards. In the recently held Detroit Auto Show, it was selected as the American Car of The year, beating many heavyweight contenders. Needless to say, it has got thumbs up from the environmentalists for its minimal carbon footprint.
The customers who have bought the first lot of Chevy Volt are largely satisfied, as is evident from their reactions. The buyers are happy to see that GM has equipped the car for harsh winter. This is commendable considering that winter season affects the battery driven cars more than the gasoline driven ones. The Volt makes use of both but GM has ensured that it can easily tackle the inclement winter weather. Since electric cars generate less engine heat, the GM engineers had to design the car and implement heating mechanism in Volt in a way that does not take its toll on the battery that powers the car. As a matter of fact, the Chevy Volt has a number of new features to ensure that the passengers stay warm while the Lithium Ion battery does not get exhausted soon.
The Volt has a mechanism that can warm up the interior of the car while the battery is getting charged from an outlet. This ensures the battery is in fully charged state when the owner drives the car. The Volt’s gasoline engine is used periodically to warm the interiors when driving in regions with sub-freezing temperature.
- GM Auctions The First Chevy Volt - Dec 03, 2010
- Detroit Auto Show 2011: Volt Makes GM Proud Again! - Jan 11, 2011
- Battery research will give electric cars the same range as petrol ones - Apr 07, 2011
- GM Making Chevy Volt, Parts Built Using Oil Spill Boom - Dec 21, 2010
- Volt goes 1000 miles between refills - May 03, 2011
- GM expects more sales with Beat's diesel version - Jun 23, 2011
- Cellphone batteries to recharge in 15 minutes - Nov 18, 2011
- GM all set to use oil spill boom material in the Chevy Volt - Dec 21, 2010
- U.S. Spec Mitsubishi i-MiEV Has Been Unveiled - Nov 10, 2010
- Fire in crash test of Chevy Volt launches investigation - Nov 28, 2011
- Chevrolet Volt 2011 manages to live up to the expectations - Oct 20, 2010
- Li-ion batteries in electric cars greener than believed - Aug 31, 2010
- Hybrid and natural gas-fuelled cars greener than those running on gasoline - Sep 15, 2010
- World's first mass-produced zero-emission minicar to hit Jap market next month - Jun 13, 2009
- Oil Spill Boom Being Recycled to Create Chevy Volt - Dec 22, 2010
Tags: american car, car of the year, carbon footprint, chevrolet volt, chevy volt, detroit auto show, driven cars, electric cars, engine heat, environmentalists, gasoline engine, gm engineers, harsh winter, heavyweight contenders, hybrid car, inclement winter weather, lithium ion battery, matter of fact, ranjan, winter season