Chevron detects new oil leak in BrazilMarch 17th, 2012 - 11:47 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 17 (IANS/EFE) US oil supermajor Chevron Corp. announced it has detected a small crude leak at the same field off Brazil’s coast where another spill occurred last November.
Company spokespersons said they detected a “small new seep” at the Frade field, located 120 km off the coast of Rio de Janeiro state in the Campos basin, Brazil’s largest oil region.
Chevron said it immediately acted to recover the leaked crude, which seeped out of a new crack in the ocean floor, about three km from the site of the November spill.
Following this latest leak, Chevron requested authorization from Brazil’s ANP oil regulator to temporarily suspend field production operations at Frade, Chevron Brazil’s corporate affairs director, Rafael Jaen, said Thursday at a press conference.
The company said it took the decision as a “precautionary measure” and also installed a system to capture small bubbles of oil that leaked from the crack in the sea floor.
The ANP confirmed the new spill and said it was small in size, although it did not give a volume estimate.
Chevron estimated that 2,400 barrels of crude leaked in November from sea-floor cracks near an exploratory well in the Frade field, although Brazilian authorities say they believe the amount was nearly 15,000 barrels.
Brazilian authorities have imposed several fines on Chevron and the company also faces lawsuits seeking to ban it from operating in Brazil and force it to pay steep compensation for the November spill.
Following that accident, Chevron acknowledged that the cracks in the ocean floor occurred because it miscalculated the pressure in the reservoir.
Chevron currently extracts 79,000 barrels of crude per day at its operations in Brazil.
- Brazilian police question Chevron's oil clean-up - Nov 21, 2011
- Greenpeace protests Chevron oil spill off Brazil - Nov 19, 2011
- Chevron faces $25 mn fine for Brazil oil spill - Jul 20, 2012
- Chevron to cap, abandon leaking Brazil oil well - Nov 16, 2011
- Brazil suspends Chevron drilling rights after spill - Nov 24, 2011
- Brazil calls on oil firms to operate responsibly - Mar 22, 2012
- Petrobras reports gas leak at drilling platform - Nov 28, 2011
- `Chevron out of Brazil if it fails to comply with agreement' - Dec 05, 2011
- Brazil seeking $10 bn from Chevron for oil spill - Dec 16, 2011
- Brazil to impose more fines on Chevron for oil spill - Nov 30, 2011
- Brazil reduces Chevron fine for oil spill - Sep 18, 2012
- Brazilian officials probe oil found on beach - Dec 20, 2011
- Brazil fines Chevron for oil spill - Nov 22, 2011
- Brazil says offshore find holds high-grade oil - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazilian firm makes offshore crude find - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: anp, brazil rio, brazilian authorities, campos basin, chevron, chevron corp, corporate affairs director, floor cracks, jaen, last november, new oil, ocean floor, oil leak, oil region, precautionary measure, production operations, rio de janeiro, sea floor, spokespersons, volume estimate