Chennai’s Empee group planning more hotelsSeptember 22nd, 2008 - 11:01 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Sep 22 (IANS) City-based Empee Group is drawing up an expansion plan for its hospitality business that includes setting up new luxury hotels, renovating the existing ones and acquiring new properties, company officials said.The group, which has interests in hotel, liquor, sugar, power, packaging, transport and construction businesses, is aiming to emerge as a major business house in south India.
“As per our existing plans, the group will have total room strength of around 600. Earlier, our focus was on growing the liquor business,” Empee Distilleries Ltd joint managing director Nisha Purushothaman told IANS.
Empee Hotels Ltd, a group company, will set up a 362-room hotel, Hilton Chennai, and a 100-room three-star hotel in Sriperumbudur. The group will also expand the business-class Grand Orient Hotel to four-star category and renovate the New Victoria Hotel, both located in Chennai.
Empee International Hotels and Resorts Ltd, Empee Hotels Ltd, South (India) Hotels Pvt Ltd and Empee Heritage Inn Pvt Ltd are the four companies that deal with the groups hotel business.
“We are also scouting for a suitable three-star 50-room hotel property for acquisition. Our idea is to first set up hotels in places where we have a land bank,” Purushothaman added.
While the group is looking out for land or an existing property for acquisition in Hyderabad, it has identified eight locations in Kerala for budget and heritage hotels.
“Our plan is to have seven hotels in seven years and be present across the categories including resorts,” Empee International chief executive Ravi Chawla told IANS.
“Barring Hilton Chennai, all other group hotels will be re-branded. The group is in the process of finalising the new brand and the strategy,” he added.
- Sarovar Hotels to expand in Africa, India - Jun 21, 2012
- Empee lines up Rs.15-bn investment for new projects, expansion - Oct 08, 2008
- Hilton No.1 international hotel brand in India: Survey - Nov 08, 2011
- Taj plans Vivanta hotels in Africa, China, Dubai - Jan 30, 2012
- Accord in talks for acquiring a Swiss hotel - Jun 28, 2012
- Holiday Inn Express hotel to come up in MahindraWorld City - Jun 14, 2011
- Swiss International Hotels announce foray into India - Apr 03, 2012
- Chatwal plans to open 52 hotels in India - Jan 09, 2012
- Worldhotels to expand presence in India - Jul 12, 2012
- US' Parkside Hotels plans big in India - Jan 19, 2012
- Malabar Gold group to diversify into retailing of lifestyle products - Mar 30, 2012
- Bullish on India, Chatwal plans 100 hotels in 10 years (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Daiwik Hotels to have five properties in two years - Jul 18, 2012
- Accord Group to acquire hotels within, outside India - May 29, 2012
- Oriental Hotels to beef up its room strength - Jul 27, 2010