Chennai architect to participate in global business summitAugust 4th, 2012 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 4 (IANS) City-based architect and member of the World Economic Forum’s Design Innovation Council Sheila Sri Prakash will be participating in the Global Business Summit on Infrastructure on the invitation of British Prime Minister David Cameron.
The business summit, to be held in London Wednesday, is part of the London Olympics to focus on the importance of sustainable infrastructure development, facilitated by new facilities, rail infrastructure as well as airports.
“I am excited and privileged to represent India at the infrastructure summit which is happening as a part of the 2012 Olympics, to help further the cutting-edge on sustainable development,” Prakash, chief architect at Shilpa architects Planners Designers Pvt Ltd, told IANS here.
Stressing that growth should be holistic and not in silos, Prakash said: “If we are holding an international sporting event then we should also look at how the infrastructure is to be used in the future that are self sustaining.”
A Veena player and a Bharatanatyam dancer, Prakash will also be participating at the Summer Davos to be held in China next month.
“I have been asked to lecture on art and its influence on urban-rural divide and how art, culture can be incorporated in a city design at the Summer Davos,” Prakash said.
At the recently concluded UN Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, many of Prakash’s recommendations for creating a sustainability index, also called Reciprocal Design Index, have been accepted.
The index prescribes metrics to measure sustainable design factoring the environment, sociology and economy.
“Till now cities are being measured on human development index. The Reciprocal Design Index is a benchmark for holistic development of cities,” she said.
- IOC concerned over progress of work in Rio - Jun 07, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to focus on agriculture, manufacturing - Oct 11, 2011
- Business as usual? Sibal, Yeddyurappa heading to China - Sep 11, 2010
- Happiness true reflection of sustainable growth: Bhutan PM - Dec 21, 2011
- Experts bat for green infrastructure in urban India - Sep 23, 2010
- Global Centre for n-energy coming up near Delhi: PM - Mar 27, 2012
- India's first biennale in Kochi will provide artists a platform (With Image) - Apr 30, 2011
- Mumbai scientist leads Indian chapter of Rio+20 conference - Jun 19, 2012
- Indian 'jugaad' has design lessons for Americans - Feb 20, 2011
- British Olympic Association backs Glasgow as 2018 Youth Olympics host - Feb 23, 2012
- Sustainable townships idea yet to impress private sector: experts - Sep 25, 2010
- India's spending on green IT to double by 2015, says report - Sep 19, 2011
- South Asian art to find new platform at first Dhaka summit - Mar 22, 2012
- Why India must become more aware of product designs (June 29 is World Industrial Design Day) - Jun 28, 2012
- Future of community culture in plywood grid boxes (With Image) - Aug 21, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, british prime minister, business summit, chief architect, david cameron, de janeiro brazil, design index, design innovation, human development index, infrastructure development, innovation council, london olympics, minister david, prakash, rail infrastructure, rio de janeiro brazil, sustainability index, sustainable design, sustainable infrastructure, world economic forum