Chavan slams Mumbai corporation for fiscal indisciplineDecember 14th, 2010 - 11:01 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Dec 14 (IANS) Setting the tone for the 2012 elections to the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan Tuesday criticised the country’s richest civic body governed by the opposition Shiv Sena-Bharatiya Janata Party combine for “financial indiscipline”.Responding to a brief discussion in the ongoing winter session of the state assembly in this state’s second capital, Chavan said that “all is not well with the corporation” which has an annual budget of over Rs.20,000 crore, larger than some small Indian states.
He noted that the BMC had ignored laid-down norms of conducting financial transactions properly and also failed to prepare audited balance sheets for the past three years.
Chavan directed the BMC to submit its audited accounts for the past three years within the next two months. A high-ranking BMC official told IANS in Mumbai that the audited reports are ready and they would be tabled Jan 10.
Chavan noted that many cities around the world competed among themselves to conduct mega-events, developing large infrastructure, conventions and expo centres, and Mumbai does not fall short on this score. He, however, called for greater efficiency in managing the financial and administrative affairs of the BMC.
He added that members from the treasury benches were also seeking a probe into the BMC’s affairs by either the Central Bureau of Investigation or a Joint Legislative Committee.
- Bal Thackeray roots for Mumbai again - May 07, 2012
- After Trinamool, NCP adds to Congress's coalition travails (Lead) - Jan 09, 2012
- Congress, NCP ally to dislodge saffron combine from BMC - Jan 11, 2012
- Shiv Sena indestructible, says Bal Thackeray - Feb 14, 2012
- MNS, SP to contest all BMC seats - Jan 09, 2012
- Bal Thackeray's birthday passes as a low-key affair - Jan 23, 2012
- 45 percent voting in Mumbai civic polls (Lead) - Feb 17, 2012
- Congress, NCP tie up for Maharashtra civic polls - Nov 23, 2011
- Why all parties covet the BMC? - Jan 04, 2012
- After Mamata, Pawar headache for Congress - Jan 09, 2012
- Fresh speculation on next Mumbai Congress chief - May 15, 2011
- Rebels, relatives in fray for BMC elections - Jan 31, 2012
- Polls in BMC, 9 other municipal corporations Feb 16 (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Shiv Sena's Sunil Prabhu is new Mumbai mayor - Mar 09, 2012
- Maharashtra gears up for civic polls - Jan 04, 2012
Tags: administrative affairs, audited accounts, balance sheets, benches, bharatiya janata party, bmc, brihanmumbai municipal corporation, central bureau of investigation, chief minister, cities around the world, civic body, conventions, financial transactions, fiscal indiscipline, indian states, joint legislative committee, mega events, norms, state assembly, winter session