Changing email pattern can predict crisis in companyFebruary 22nd, 2011 - 7:35 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, Feb 22 (IANS) Changes in a company’s email traffic foreshadow a looming crisis, an analysis of now-dead Enron Corporation’s electronic correspondence has revealed. Researchers at the University of Sydney’s School of Civil Engineering analysed more than a quarter of a million emails from Enron, over three-and-a-half years leading up to its 2001 bankruptcy.
“We found it went from a highly centralised network to a largely decentralised and distributed system,” says Professor Liaquat Hossain, study co-author, according to a Sydney statement.
“We saw structural changes in email communications in the 12 months before the crisis intensified as its CEO Jeffrey Skilling resigned and it started reporting earning losses.”
“As Enron approached disintegration in late 2001 more people communicated with their colleagues and at a higher frequency. During this peak crisis period, there was also a jump in the number of cliques forming within the company,” said the statement.
“This increase in communication is consistent with organisational theory that purports cohesiveness is greater under conditions of great anxiety.”
Hossain said the findings suggested changes in communication patterns can predict potential crises in an organisation.
- Emails exchanged by employees may help predict a company's demise - Jun 23, 2009
- Gossip comprises huge chunk of corporate emails: Study - Jun 07, 2012
- 'Renewable energy is answer to Bihar's power woes' - Oct 22, 2010
- Imran for end to war on terror - Jan 12, 2011
- Jeffrey Skilling's Son Found Dead - Feb 05, 2011
- Bihar broke energy promises: Greenpeace India - Mar 03, 2011
- Commonwealth can grapple with global financial crises, says Britain - Oct 28, 2011
- Greens to assess central power scheme in Uttar Pradesh - Apr 06, 2011
- Indian rocket fails to put satellite in orbit (Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- Indian print media will flourish for next 15 years - Apr 01, 2012
- Son Of Erstwhile CEO Of 'Enron' Found In A Dead State - Feb 04, 2011
- Why doesn't judiciary act against Musharraf in Benazir case: Zardari - Jan 08, 2012
- Pakistan celebrates 115th birth anniversary of first PM - Sep 30, 2010
- Malaysia scraps colonial-era sedition law - Jul 12, 2012
- Email storm 'leads to workplace stress' - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: 12 months, anxiety, bankruptcy, civil engineering, cliques, co author, cohesiveness, colleagues, communication patterns, crises, crisis period, disintegration, electronic correspondence, email communications, enron corporation, half years, higher frequency, jeffrey skilling, liaquat hossain, university of sydney