Chandy writes to Jayalalithaa on smuggling of tobacco productsSeptember 5th, 2012 - 5:17 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Sep 5 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy has sought help from his counterpart in Tamil Nadu, J. Jayalalithaa to see that smuggling of tobacco products from either state does not take place.
On May 25 this year, the Kerala government imposed a complete ban on sale and consumption of tobacco products such as gutka and paan masala.
The authorities have been conducting raids to see if shops sell them and of late have found that these products are being smuggled from Tamil Nadu.
“I would like to request your good self to use your significant influence and direct your enforcement agencies to ensure that the banned tobacco products are not smuggled into Kerala. Let’s fight this menace together as this is taking away precious life of our younger generations,” reads Chandy’s letter to Jayalalithaa.
The violators would serve a jail term from six months up to six years or be fined up to Rs.10 lakh.
According to a recent study conducted in the state, 10.7 percent of the adults consume tobacco products.
- Kerala bans gutka, paan masala (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Kerala bans gutka, paan masala (Second Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 26, 2012
- New carcinogen in smokeless tobacco identified - Apr 27, 2012
- Himachal defers ban on gutka till October - Jul 17, 2012
- Kerala tobacco sales order: Chandy threatens stern action - May 16, 2012
- Gutka ban welcome, needs to be effective, say Delhiites - Sep 11, 2012
- Chewing tobacco joins 'banned foods' as oral cancer cases rise - Sep 02, 2011
- Chandy urges PM to ban tobacco products - Jun 23, 2011
- Dam row: Chandy in Delhi Thursday, likely to meet PM - Dec 01, 2011
- Chandy writes to Jayalalithaa on Mullaperiyar row - Dec 18, 2011
- Bombay HC upholds ban on gutka, pan masala - Sep 17, 2012
- UP considers banning gutka, paan masala - May 24, 2012
- Chandy writes to Jayalalithaa on Mullaperiyar row (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Haryana bans gutka, pan masala from Aug 15 - Jul 20, 2012
- Rajasthan bans gutka, plans fines up to Rs.10 lakh - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: adults, authorities, chief minister, consumption, counterpart, generations, gutka, j jayalalithaa, jail term, kerala government, lakh, paan, precious life, significant influence, six months, six years, tamil nadu, tobacco products, violators