Chandni Chowk fire extinguished, four hurt (Lead)November 29th, 2010 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 29 (IANS) A major fire at a warehouse in Delhi’s congested Chandni Chowk market was doused Monday afternoon, a day after it broke out, officials said. Three fire-fighters and a policeman were injured.
“The flames were extinguished by afternoon and soon the MCD (Municipal Corporation of Delhi) began demolishing the gutted building,” a fire brigade official said.
Almost half of the four-storey building housing the warehouse on the ground floor had been demolished and the rest would be razed tomorrow (Tuesday) morning by the MCD, the official added.
One of the fire-fighters who was seriously injured in the incident continued to be in a critical condition in hospital, the official said.
Two other firemen and a policeman injured in the blaze were stable, said the official.
According to the official, the fire broke out at 5 p.m. Sunday and 30 fire-tenders were rushed to the spot.
“It was a warehouse for plastic bags. The owner was running the warehouse illegally as he did not have the licence,” the official added.
“No resident has been injured. The power supply to the area was snapped while people residing in adjoining buildings were evacuated as a precaution,” the official added.
The officials suspect an electrical short-circuit could have caused the fire. Police are investigating the case.
- Fire rages at Chandni Chowk warehouse - Nov 29, 2010
- Efforts still on to douse fire at Delhi's Chandni Chawk (Second Lead) - Nov 29, 2010
- Four injured fighting blaze in Delhi's Chandni Chowk (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
- Chandni Chowk blaze claims one life - Nov 30, 2010
- Four killed in Delhi warehouse fire - Nov 13, 2011
- Tyre warehouse in Haryana gutted in fire - Jun 30, 2012
- Fire in central Delhi building, no casualty (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Two fires break out in Kolkata, no casualties - Jun 16, 2012
- LIC office in Lucknow gutted - Sep 14, 2012
- Fire in Delhi factory - May 20, 2011
- Labourer injured in fire in Delhi - Mar 10, 2012
- Leather goods warehouse gutted, no casualty - Nov 11, 2010
- Six injured in fire - Aug 14, 2011
- Fire in north Delhi warehouse doused (Lead) - Dec 05, 2010
- Fire in Delhi shoe factory, no injuries - Oct 31, 2010
Tags: blaze, building a fire, chandni chowk, critical condition, fire brigade, fire fighters, fire police, fire tenders, firemen, flames, mcd municipal corporation of delhi, monday afternoon, municipal corporation of delhi, New Delhi, plastic bags, policeman, power supply, precaution, short circuit, tuesday morning