Chandigarh to have radio auto serviceMay 21st, 2009 - 9:01 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 21 (IANS) Chandigarh will soon have a door-step transport facility for the residents with the administration considering radio auto-rickshaws (three-wheelers) service to ply in the city, officials said Thursday.
The 24X7 radio auto service will be the first of its kind in the country, transport department officials here said. The autos will run on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) and compressed natural gas (CNG).
A four-digit helpline will enable customers to get these radio autos at their doorstep.
“The issue is under active consideration of the Chandigarh Administration and forms part of the work plan evolved by the department for 2009-10,” state transport authority (STA) secretary Vandana Disodia said here Thursday.
The done-up eco-friendly LPG-CNG-run green and yellow-top autos will be equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) connected with cellular and landline telephone operators.
A Rs.5 per km fare has been proposed for these radio autos.
The city presently has a government-run public bus system besides radio taxis and auto-rickshaws.
- Delhi's autos, taxis to go on strike from Aug 3 - Jul 20, 2012
- Chandigarh turns pink with 'Tuk-Tuk' auto-rickshaw - Sep 09, 2009
- Chandigarh autos to go green (Lead) - Dec 22, 2009
- Auto, taxi fare charges likely to increase in Delhi - Jul 25, 2012
- Court dismisses petitions against GPS systems for Delhi autos - Sep 17, 2012
- Race on three wheels to save the environment - Nov 14, 2009
- Auto rickshaws all set to paint Chandigarh pink - Aug 11, 2009
- Commuting by CNG driven autos, taxis to cost dearly in Mumbai - Jun 22, 2010
- Auto-rickshaws older than 10 years banned in Ranchi - May 15, 2012
- Government withdraws VAT on CNG - Jun 04, 2012
- New Delhi's CNG drive worsened some vehicles' climate impacts: Study - Mar 02, 2011
- Only LPG autos in Chandigarh after March 31 next - Dec 22, 2009
- Petrol to be cheaper, CNG costlier in Delhi (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 28, 2012
- Auto-rickshaws to be phased out from national capital: Sheila Dikshit - Mar 18, 2010
- Delhi to decide on auto-rickshaw fare hike - May 31, 2010
Tags: auto service, chandigarh administration, city officials, compressed natural gas, department officials, global positioning system, liquefied petroleum gas, liquefied petroleum gas lpg, public bus system, radio auto, radio autos, radio taxis, state transport authority, telephone operators, three wheelers, top autos, transport department, transport facility, vandana, will enable customers