Chandigarh to have metro railJune 12th, 2009 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, June 12 (IANS) To ease traffic problems and provide better transport facilities to commuters of the tri-city of Chandigarh, Panchkula and Mohali, a Mass Rapid Transport System (MRTS), including metro rail, is on the anvil, an official said Friday.
“The proposed MRTS project will include metro rail, Bus Rapid Transit System (BRTS) and Commuters Rail Service (CRS). Chandigarh would initiate the MRTS project jointly with the state governments of Himachal Pradesh, Haryana and Punjab,” a spokesperson of the administration said here Friday.
He added, “The total cost of the project is estimated at Rs.150 billion (Rs.15,000 crore) and the project would be completed in four years time.”
Senior officials of the union territory of Chandigarh held a meeting in this regard with Rail India Technical and Economic Services (RITES) here Friday. The meeting was headed by the union territory’s Finance Secretary Sanjay Kumar.
RITES presented a draft of the Comprehensive Mobility Plan (CMP) covering the aspects of metro routes, BRTS corridors, parking space and cost and revenue modes for the entire project.
Kumar said the draft report would be circulated to the governments of Punjab, Haryana and Himachal Pradesh and the proposals would be discussed before anything is finalised.
Kumar stated, “After the plan is finalised, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation is likely to prepare the final project report, and based on that, execution of the project will start.”
- Chandigarh's proposed Metro to link three cities - May 26, 2011
- Delhi Metro to organise management programme on MRTS - Sep 09, 2012
- Medical counters to come up at Delhi Metro stations - Mar 08, 2011
- UP goes all out for Metro in major cities - Mar 27, 2012
- Central government unable to supervise all metro rail projects - Dec 07, 2011
- Bangalore gets Rs.4,770 crore for better infrastructure - Feb 24, 2011
- Faridabad to come on Delhi Metro line - Mar 25, 2012
- DMRC asked for project report om monorail - Aug 01, 2012
- Metro rail is an effective system of transport: President Patil - Sep 22, 2010
- UP mulls metro, mono rail in big cities - Mar 24, 2012
- PM lays foundation stone for Kochi Metro - Sep 13, 2012
- UP mulls Rapid Transit System from Delhi to Meerut - May 10, 2012
- Chennai's elevated rail system will be completed in 2013 - Mar 14, 2012
- Second blackout in India hits 19 states, 600 million people (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- President Patil to lay foundation of new Kolkata Metro - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: bus rapid transit, crore, delhi metro rail, delhi metro rail corporation, draft report, economic services, entire project, finance secretary, haryana, mass rapid transport, metro routes, mobility plan, panchkula, rail bus, rapid transit system, sanjay kumar, state governments, traffic problems, transport facilities, union territory