Chandigarh to get country’s first PDS smart cardsMay 28th, 2010 - 12:20 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 28 (IANS) Chandigarh will soon become the first city in the country to
distribute smart card-based ration cards to below poverty line (BPL) families who benefit from the Public Distribution System (PDS).
HCL Infosystems, a hardware, services and ICT system integration company, has bagged the order to implement the project.
The smart cards will capture all biometric, tax, demographic and personal information details of people, enabling authorities to ensure proper distribution of food rations and other benefits.
Said HCL Infosystems president and chief operating officer J.V. Ramamurthy: “Technology today is changing the way local authorities across the globe reach out to their citizens.
“As Public Distribution System is vital for sustained living of the people living below the poverty line, this project is a step in the right direction to make the Public Distribution System more robust and effective by deploying path-breaking technology.”
- Leakages to be plugged before food security implemented - Jun 10, 2012
- 54 lakh Haryana families to get smart ration cards - May 28, 2011
- Haryana to replace ration cards with smart cards - May 16, 2011
- Action against fake poor in Tripura - Jul 31, 2012
- Public distribution system to be computerised - Aug 16, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh to give foodgrain via biometric cards - Jul 05, 2012
- Poor want reformed PDS, not cash transfers - Aug 11, 2011
- HCL Infosystems bags IT project from Punjab and Sind bank - Mar 09, 2011
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Will delay in poverty survey affect food security bill? - Apr 10, 2012
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Family size can be basis for subsidised food quota: Court - Nov 11, 2010
- Orissa launches biometric ration cards - Aug 18, 2010
- Give surplus foodgrain free to poor: Apex court (Lead) - Aug 12, 2010
- Over one lakh 'fake' poor in Tripura: Congress - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: breaking technology, chief operating officer, citizens, food rations, globe, hardware services, hcl infosystems, information details, living below the poverty line, local authorities, proper distribution, public distribution system, ration cards, smart card, smart cards, step in the right direction, system integration company, v ramamurthy