Chandigarh region records 38 percent income tax growthMay 18th, 2011 - 1:20 am ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, May 17 (IANS) The income tax collection in the Chandigarh region has grown by a whopping 38 percent against a national increase of 20 percent, a top official said here Tuesday.
Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) chairman Sudhir Chandra said that the growth in tax collection for the Chandigarh region was the highest in any region of the country in the 2010-11 financial year.
The Chandigarh region comprises Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir and the union territory of Chandigarh.
Chandra said that the region had collected Rs.4,300 crore in taxes in 2010-11. This was 38 percent higher than the taxes collected in the previous year.
Inaugurating the new building of the income tax regional headquarters here Tuesday, Chandra said that the new office would cater to the 3,120,022 tax-payers in the region.
Asking income tax officials to clean-up their own act before putting others in the dock over non-payment of taxes, Chandra said that income tax refunds of Rs.74,000 crore in 85 lakh cases had been made in recent months.
He said that the tax deduction at source (TDS) was being refunded with interest to tax-payers eligible for refunds.
- Tax board targets Rs.530,000 crore collection in 2011-12 - May 17, 2011
- Kingfisher Airlines owes Rs.132.78 crore in TDS dues - Dec 20, 2011
- Small mistake can lead to long delays in tax refunds - Jul 23, 2012
- Now you can call an expert home for filing IT return - Jul 24, 2012
- Finance Minister outlines measures to 'improve governance' - Feb 28, 2011
- No tax returns on salaries up to Rs.5 lakh - Jun 23, 2011
- Direct tax collections up 27 percent in April-July - Aug 12, 2011
- Tripura registers record rise in tax collection - Jun 02, 2012
- Only 2.77 percent of India's population pay income tax - Aug 31, 2011
- Direct tax collection rises 14 percent to Rs.1,00,112 crore - Sep 06, 2010
- India defers GAAR by a year (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- E-filing of returns must for people earning over Rs.10 lakh - Jul 02, 2012
- Fiscal deficit management need of the hour: Pranab - Jan 14, 2012
- Improve interface with small tax payers, pensioners: President - Jul 15, 2011
- New technology to make tax payments easier: Pranab - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: crore, direct taxes, haryana, income tax refunds, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lakh cases, previous year, regional headquarters, sudhir chandra, tax deduction, tax officials, tax payers, tds, union territory of chandigarh