Centre arranging gunny bags for Madhya PradeshMay 10th, 2012 - 6:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 10 (IANS) The central government is trying to arrange gunny bags for Madhya Pradesh, Food Minister K.V. Thomas said Thursday, reacting to reports from the state of shortage of bags used for storing food grain.
“An assessment was done for Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Assam for grain storage and requirement of gunny bags. The MP (Madhya Pradesh) government had said they would purchase 50 percent of the bags from outside,” Thomas said at a workshop on strengthening public distribution system and food fortification here.
“Later, they (the government) said this purchase is not possible so the state fell short of the bags. Now we are making proper arrangement of gunny bags for MP, and planning is going on,” Thomas said.
The two-day national workshop is being organised by the ministry of consumer affairs and the United Nations World Food Programme.
Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan had blamed the central government for the shortage of bags. He said that the lack of gunny bags had caused huge losses since the state could not procure a large amount of food grain due to the shortage of bags.
“We have planned it with the chief ministers of the states. This issue has been discussed in parliament also and there is no politics in it,” Thomas added.
Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee had said in the Lok Sabha that the government was supporting creation of storage facilities through its viability fund and by providing concessions in interests as long-term storage methods.
He said Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh had procured more grain than estimated, which caused the shortage of bags.
Jute bag producing units in West Bengal have also been told to increase production by 25,000 sacks from the present monthly output of 2.5 lakh.
- Punjab seeks gunny bags for storage - Jul 08, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure record 200 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 11, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana wheat procurement to start Friday - Mar 31, 2011
- Where to stock bumper harvest? Punjab, Haryana in quandary - May 17, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- National Food Grain Reserve sought in Madhya Pradesh - Apr 25, 2010
- UP taking steps to save food grain from rains - Jun 28, 2012
- Food grain reserve sought in Madhya Pradesh (Lead) - Apr 25, 2010
- Bihar procures record paddy but farmers' cheques bounce - Apr 07, 2012
- Grow more grains, Pawar tells states - Feb 08, 2012
- Bihar procures 16 lakh tonnes of paddy - Mar 16, 2012
- Punjab seeks PM's intervention on food grain storage - Apr 06, 2011
- Prepare for record wheat procurement, states told - Feb 21, 2012
- Meet to discuss Rabi wheat procurement - Feb 16, 2012
- Bihar buys six crore gunny bags - Feb 14, 2012
Tags: chief ministers, food fortification, food grain, food minister, grain storage, gunny bags, jute bag, Lok Sabha, long term storage, madhya pradesh government, ministry of consumer, ministry of consumer affairs, pranab mukherjee, proper arrangement, public distribution system, storage methods, storing food, united nations world food programme, west bengal, world food programme