Census enumeration to start Feb 9February 7th, 2011 - 9:49 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 7 (IANS) The enumeration process for Census 2011 will start Feb 9 and end Feb 28, a top official said Monday.Addressing a press conference, Ranjit Singh Deol, the director of census operations, said that a number of new features have been added to the 2011 census.
“These include state-of-the-art designing of the schedules, new/revised questions on the institutional household, new category in gender parameter for transgender, a separate code for separated and divorced, and new codes under status of school attendance and a separate code included under non economic activity for gender mainstreaming,” he added.
According to Deol, the new features are expected to help in better policy-making process due to additional data.
“The use of more developed technology with advanced features will ensure faster completion of work,” he said.
House listing and housing census and collection of data on the National Population Register (NPR) was done in the first phase, from April to September 2010.
“The second phase will witness 2.54 lakh enumerators and supervisors visiting house to house for counting purposes,” Deol said.
Till Feb 8, enumerators will visit their assigned block and prepare a hand drawn layout map.
“On Feb 28, all the houseless people will be enumerated as per the plan chalked out based the information gathered from enumerators and NGOs,” he added.
From March 1 to 5, enumerators will again visit each household to record any new birth or deaths after the last visit.
The Census 2011 will be India’s 15th since 1872 and the seventh after independence.
In Maharashtra, the census will be conducted in all 35 districts and 355 tehsils. The total census towns are 279 and more than 43,000 villages will be a part of the census.
Nearly 2.3 crore households are projected to undergo the census this year.
- Chidambaram unveils mascot of Census enumerator - Feb 02, 2011
- India begins 1.2 billion population headcount (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2011
- India begins headcount of its 1.2 billion population (Intro Roundup) - Feb 09, 2011
- Second phase of 2011 census kick starts in Orissa - Feb 09, 2011
- Vice President Ansari enumerated for second phase of Census 2011 - Feb 09, 2011
- India embarks on headcount exercise April 1 - Mar 30, 2010
- Second phase of Census 2011 launched in Maharashtra - Feb 10, 2011
- Census exercise in Gujarat to begin Feb 9 - Feb 05, 2011
- Last phase of census starts in Delhi - Feb 09, 2011
- Census-2011 to cover illegal immigrants too - Feb 02, 2011
- 2011 population census begins April 1 - Mar 31, 2010
- Work to create National Population Register starts next year - Dec 05, 2009
- Soldiers and troopers for head count in census phase-2 - Feb 05, 2011
- Sonia Gandhi enumerated for the Population Census 2011 - Apr 10, 2010
- PM enumerated for Census 2011 - Apr 03, 2010
Tags: advanced features, census enumeration, census operations, deaths, economic activity, enumeration process, enumerators, gender mainstreaming, households, information gathered from, march 1, mumbai, national population, new birth, new category, new features, npr, school attendance, second phase, state of the art