CBI seizes Diwali gifts from Mumbai labour commissioner officeNovember 4th, 2010 - 5:57 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), in surprise raids carried out on the offices of the Deputy Chief Labour Commissioner, has recovered expensive Diwali gifts and cash, including electronic and silver items, an official said here Thursday.
The raids were carried out Wednesday at Shram Raksha Bhavan, the offices of the Dy.CLC on Sion-Trombay Road following tip-off that the labour officials were receiving gifts and cash from the employers or owners of various public and private companies, banks and other establishments with whom they had official dealings.
During the surprise check in the chambers of Dy.CLC R. Venkateshwarlu, Regional Labour Commissioner Pradeep K. Panigrahi, Assistant Labour Commissioners Prabhakar K. Ragade, Ramgopal Meena, S. Gunahari, and a secretarial staff, the CBI sleuths recovered gift boxes containing sweets, dry fruits, electronic items and silver items.
The CBI also recovered cash Rs.34,000 in four envelopes and gift vouchers.
The items and cash were presented by various banks, public sector undertakings, private companies and organizations like Kingfisher, Tata Communication, ATC India Tower Corporation, 3i Infotech, Lubrizol, Gammon India Ltd., Vodafone, Godrej, Larson & Toubro Ltd., Aircel and (Reliance Industries), according to the CBI.
Accepting gifts from clients make officials liable to charges of corruption, said investigators.
- Pilots accuse Air India of retracting on its commitment - Jul 07, 2012
- CBI arrests four for defence canteen racket - Jul 01, 2012
- Prime Minister's Shram Awards for the year 2008 announced - Aug 14, 2010
- CBI swoops on 14 customs officers for taking bribes - Jan 11, 2011
- Gold, silver brick seized from arrested tax official - Jul 16, 2011
- More treasure found in Sai Baba's ashram (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Arrested tax official has assets worth crores - Sep 07, 2011
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- CBI raids 19 places in Jharkhand Rajya Sabha poll case - Jun 13, 2012
- Prime Minister to give away 'Shram Awards' on Wednesday - Sep 14, 2010
- Brigadier held in defence canteen scam - Jul 03, 2012
- CBI searches JMM legislator Sita Soren's house - May 22, 2012
- 52 workers get Shram Awards - Aug 15, 2010
- More gold, cash tumble out of Sai Baba's cupboards - Jul 19, 2011
- NALCO CMD arrested by CBI for taking bribe - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: 3i infotech, aircel, central bureau of investigation, diwali gifts, dry fruits, gammon india ltd, gift boxes, gift vouchers, godrej, labour commissioner, lubrizol, prabhakar, public sector undertakings, receiving gifts, regional labour, reliance industries, secretarial staff, surprise raids, toubro ltd, tower corporation