CBI case against British firm owner for Tatra bribe offerApril 26th, 2012 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has registered a corruption case over alleged irregularities in the Tatra trucks procurement against an owner of a Britain-based company, unknown officials of an Indian defence public sector unit, defence ministry and the Indian Army, the Rajya Sabha has been informed.
The CBI is also carrying out a preliminary inquiry into alleged report of a bribe offer to Indian Army chief Gen. V.K. Singh in respect of purchase of Tatra trucks, Defence Minister A.K. Antony told the house in written reply to questions on Wednesday.
The replies were released to the media by parliament Thursday.
“The CBI has been requested to investigate comprehensively into the alleged report of bribe to the army chief in respect of purchase of Tatra trucks,” Antony said.
“A preliminary inquiry has been registered by CBI on April 11, 2012. Further, the CBI has also registered a case under Section 120B read (conspiracy) with Section 420 (cheating) of Indian Penal Code and Sections 13 (2) read with 13 (1) (d) of Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988 against one of the owners and other unknown persons of a UK-based company, unknown officials of a Defence PSU, Ministry of Defence and Indian Army,” he said.
The army chief had last month revealed in media interviews that a retired lieutenant general had offered him a Rs.14 crore bribe to clear a tranche of 600 ’sub-standard’ trucks.
Later, Antony told parliament, when opposition parties raised the matter, that the army chief had named Lt. Gen. Tejinder Singh, a former Defence Intelligence Agency chief, as the person who offered him the bribe.
Just before this statement in parliament, Antony recommended a CBI investigation into the army chief’s claims.
The CBI has already taken statements from the army chief on the matter, apart from carrying out raids on premises of persons linked to the case.
- Tatra scam: CBI grills Tejinder for 6 hours (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- CBI questions Vectra chief (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- CBI questions BEML chief in Tatra trucks case (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- CBI questions Vectra chief - Apr 02, 2012
- Tatra deal: CBI searches homes of former army officers - Apr 18, 2012
- Now, DRDO chief defends Tatra trucks - Mar 31, 2012
- CBI questions army chief over bribe offer claim (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Tatra scam: CBI searches two ex army officers' homes (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- CBI begins probe into army chief's bribe complaint - Apr 11, 2012
- Tatra scam: CBI searches homes of two ex army officers (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Clean chit to Tatra trucks after army chief's allegations - Mar 26, 2012
- CBI issues notice against Vectra chief - Apr 01, 2012
- Antony asks DPSUs to maintain transparency - Apr 12, 2012
- Why didn't army chief probe bribe matter: Tejinder Singh - Mar 27, 2012
- Why didn't army chief probe bribe matter: Tejinder Singh (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: agency chief, army chief, bribe, cbi, central bureau of investigation, corruption case, defence intelligence agency, defence ministry, indian army, indian defence, indian penal code, lieutenant general, media interviews, opposition parties, preliminary inquiry, prevention of corruption act, public sector unit, rajya sabha, tatra trucks, tejinder singh