CBI books five companies allocated coal blocks (Second Lead)September 4th, 2012 - 4:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Tuesday filed cheating cases against five private companies allocated coal blocks and also conducted raids at 30 locations in 10 cities, an official said.
The CBI registered the first set of first information reports (FIRs) in alleged irregularities in the allocation and use of coal deposits. Teams from the agency are conducting raids in 10 cities, including Kolkata, Patna, Hyderabad, Dhanbad, Nagpur, Mumbai and Delhi.
“During the preliminary inquiry, we found irregularities against five companies and registered the first set of FIRs against them today. It may also cover eight to 10 more companies,” a senior CBI official told IANS.
The five companies are AMR Iron and Steel, Vini Iron and Steel, Nav Bharat Power, JLD Yavatmal Energy and JAS Infrastructure Capital.
The country’s official auditor, Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG), in a report had pointed towards lack of transparency in the allocation of coal blocks to private players resulting in a presumptive loss of a Rs.1.85 lakh crore ($37 billion) to the exchequer as on March 11 last year.
- Five firms face CBI cases, raids in coal blocks allocation (Third Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- CBI names Congress MP in coal block cases, raids 30 sites (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- CBI cases, raids against five firms in coal blocks allocation (Fourth Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- CBI to quiz MP, five firms' officials on coal blocks - Sep 05, 2012
- Congress distances itself from Darda over coal blocks allocations - Sep 05, 2012
- Maharashtra minister denies role in coal block cases - Sep 05, 2012
- FIRs against five companies allocated coal blocks (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Private firm directors in CBI net over coal blocks - Sep 18, 2012
- Hyderabad-based Nav Bharat comes under CBI scanner - Sep 05, 2012
- CBI not to probe PM in 'coalgate' - Jun 01, 2012
- Team Anna rejects CBI probe in 'coalgate' (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- BJP poses more questions to PM, Jaiswal over coal block allocations (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- CAG reports creating suspicion, distrust: Assocham - Aug 28, 2012
- CBI not to probe Manmohan in 'Coalgate' (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- BJP poses more questions to PM, Jaiswal over coal block allocations - Sep 11, 2012
Tags: amr, cag, cbi, central bureau of investigation, cheating cases, coal deposits, comptroller, crore, hyderabad, iron and steel, irregularities, jas, jld, nagpur, nav bharat, preliminary inquiry, private companies, private players, rs 1, vini