Cathay Pacific loses $13 mn case with cabin crewJanuary 13th, 2009 - 3:23 pm ICT by IANS
Hong Kong, Jan 13 (DPA) Hong Kong airline Cathay Pacific was Tuesday facing a potential 13 million US dollar payout to its cabin crew after losing a court case over unpaid holiday pay.Three flight attendants won a test case at a Labour Tribunal hearing which said they were entitled to a total of 14,000 US dollars in additional holiday pay from 2002 to 2008.
Another 4,000 similar claims are now pending which if won could lead to a combined total of more than 13 million US dollars, according to the territory’s Flight Attendants Union.
At the tribunal hearing Monday, officials ruled that Cathay Pacific should give additional allowances in holiday pay to cabin crew to cover the time spent at overseas ports.
Cathay Pacific said after the hearing it intended to take the case to a higher court to contest the finding and said any future claims would also be contested.
The tribunal defeat comes at a time when the flagship Hong Kong airline is struggling with falling revenues, lower passenger numbers and heavy losses on fuel hedging in 2007.
Cathay Pacific carried 23.5 million passengers and 1.6 million tonnes of cargo in 2007.
- Cathay Pacific announces Hyderabad-Hong Kong flight - Aug 23, 2012
- Cathay Pacific refuses to let cabin crew wear masks - May 01, 2009
- Airlines warn against travel to snowed-in Britain - Dec 20, 2010
- Hong Kong airline to replace 'fixed-back shell' economy seats after complaints - Oct 13, 2010
- Cathay Pacific accused of racism after refusing job to Muslim worker - Feb 20, 2011
- Sacked Hong Kong pilots win multimillion-dollar legal battle - Nov 11, 2009
- Cebu Pacific Airlines cabin crew give safety demo while dancing to Gaga! - Oct 03, 2010
- Dragonair to link Kolkata and Hong Kong - May 23, 2012
- Cathay Pacific opts for Kerala IT firm's solution - Feb 07, 2011
- Toilet blockages force Cathay Pacific Airbus to divert to Mumbai - Nov 25, 2009
- Internet, live TV on flights a reality soon - Jul 09, 2010
- European economy gets hit by massive snowfall (Second Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- European holiday makers' plans hit by heavy snowfall (Lead) - Dec 20, 2010
- 20,000 Hong Kong airline staff asked to take unpaid leave - Apr 17, 2009
- Ryanair trests cardiac arrest passenger with a sandwich - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: 5 million, 6 million, airline, cabin crew, cathay pacific, court case, dpa, flagship, flight attendants union, heavy losses, hong kong, labour tribunal, overseas ports, passenger numbers, test case, tonnes