Carpool website to help Kerala techies go greenMay 25th, 2009 - 7:02 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 25 (IANS) Companies based in Kerala’s Technopark, an IT park here, Monday launched a carpooling website for IT professionals in the state as part of its green computing initiatives.
The website, www.parkcarpool.in, was jointly launched by the Group of Technopark Companies (GTECH), a body representing the chief executives of the Technopark firms, and Palnar Transmedia, a city-based software firm.
The site would encourage IT professionals to travel together and thereby save money, fuel and reduce global warming and traffic on the roads, GTECH officials said.
Those who are interested can register in the website for free by submitting some basic information and search for travel mates who commute to the Technopark campus or Infopark in Kochi.
Kerala has more than 30,000 IT professionals working at these two IT parks.
GTECH President S. Rama Rao said there was an urgent need to create awareness in the industry about the benefits of carpooling primarily to reduce the harmful effects of carbon dioxide emissions from vehicles.
GTECH secretary Satish Babu said the primary objective of the carpooling was to enhance environmental consciousness.
“This unique model of GTECH acts as a catalyst in promoting the cause of environmental sustainability in Kerala. It is also in tune with the National Policy on Conservation of Fuel,” said Babu.
- Singapore, Kerala to enhance IT cooperation - Apr 13, 2012
- Chandy rides bicycle to launch IT Park's green initiative - Dec 06, 2011
- GTECH to tap Scandinavian markets - Aug 13, 2010
- Kerala IT firms to spread AIDS awareness campaign - May 14, 2009
- Kerala IT team to visit global infotech fair - Mar 01, 2011
- E&Y; to open third facility in Kerala - Apr 21, 2012
- Kerala mulling cutting operating costs of IT firms - Jan 19, 2012
- Kochi IT park sets up helpline - Sep 23, 2011
- Kerala gets first product testing and certification centre - Aug 20, 2012
- Oracle sets up office in Technopark in Kerala - Apr 18, 2011
- US Consul General McIntyre visits Kerala Infopark - Jun 14, 2012
- Oracle to open in Technopark Kerala Thursday - Jun 14, 2011
- Exempt IT from shutdowns, GTech urges Kerala government - May 04, 2010
- Infosys to set up second campus in Thiruvananthapuram - Apr 04, 2012
- Innovation centre to be set up at Infopark - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: babu, based software, benefits of carpooling, carbon dioxide emissions, catalyst, chief executives, environmental consciousness, environmental sustainability, global warming, green computing, gtech, infopark, initiatives, objective, rama rao, satish, software firm, thiruvananthapuram, travel mates, website www