Carlos Slim’s firm to acquire US companyMay 11th, 2012 - 11:54 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, May 11 (IANS/EFE) Regional wireless giant America Movil, controlled by Mexican multi-billionaire Carlos Slim, said Thursday it has agreed to acquire a 100 percent stake in US wireless carrier Simple Mobile, Inc., a unit of T-Mobile USA.
In a filing with the Mexican Stock Exchange, the Mexico City-based company said the deal was subject to “certain conditions as well as the granting of certain authorizations”.
America Movil said its US unit, Tracfone Wireless, will acquire California-based Simple Mobile “in the second quarter of 2012″.
The filing did not indicate the cost of the acquisition but it said Simple Mobile is one of T-Mobile’s biggest mobile virtual network operators in the US.
The company provides service to more than 1 million subscribers and offers voice, text messaging, data and wireless broadband services, the filing said.
America Movil is the largest provider of telecommunications services in the Americas with 246 million cellular subscribers, according to figures released in March.
The deal was made public three days after America Movil announced that it was seeking a stake of up to 28 percent in Dutch telecom company KPN to expand its presence in Europe.
America Movil, which operates in 19 countries across the Americas, was founded as a unit of Mexico City-based fixed-line giant Telmex in the 1990s but was spun off from its parent company in 2000.
Over time, it became bigger than Telmex and Slim, the world’s richest person with a net worth of $74 billion, unified control of his companies under America Movil in 2010.
America Movil has operations in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, the US and Uruguay.
T-Mobile USA is the US wireless subsidiary of Deutsche Telecom AG.
- Latin American firm gains control of Dutch telecom - Jun 29, 2012
- Mexican phone giant delists from foreign exchanges - Dec 21, 2011
- Mexican telecom giant to invest $5.4 bn in Brazil - Dec 28, 2011
- World's richest man to invest $1.5 bn in Argentina - Apr 17, 2011
- Protests against Carlos Slim in New York - Aug 09, 2012
- AT&T; drops bid for T-Mobile - Dec 20, 2011
- Brazil's wireless carriers challenge 4G auction plans - May 12, 2012
- US government sues to block AT&T;, T-Mobile merger - Sep 01, 2011
- Carlos Slim launches new TV channel on Internet - Jul 18, 2012
- Cell phone service restored after outage in Argentina (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Mexican billionaire Slim invests in Colombian oil industry - Feb 24, 2011
- Mexico's Carlos Slim tops Forbes' richest list - Mar 08, 2012
- Bill Gates buys stake in Mexican company - Mar 18, 2011
- Mexican group sells South American hotels for $275 mn - Jul 17, 2012
- Meet the world's richest man who aims for a simple life - Jul 18, 2010
Tags: america movil, argentina brazil, carlos slim, cellular subscribers, deutsche telecom ag, dutch telecom company, giant america, honduras mexico, mexican stock exchange, million subscribers, mobile usa, mobile virtual network operators, regional wireless, richest person, t mobile, telecommunications services, virtual network, voice text, wireless broadband services, wireless carrier