Capital to have mono rail by 2017January 17th, 2012 - 10:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi , Jan 17 (IANS) The national capital is to get an elevated Mono Rail by 2017 with the Delhi government giving the project an in-principle nod Tuesday.
“The mono rail, which is another environmentally friendly mode of transportation, will run in the capital. It is a big project and will cost Rs.1,665 crore,” Delhi Urban Development Minister A.K. Walia told IANS on the phone.
The first phase of the train will be introduced in east Delhi, which will be a 10.8 km stretch and have 12 stations. It will connect Shastri Park Metro and the proposed Trilokpuri Metro station in east Delhi.
The route will start from Shastri Park Metro station, pass through Yamuna Pushta Road, Rajaram Kohli Marg, Geeta Colony, Patparganj Road, Nirman Vihar Metro Station at Vikas Marg, Ganesh Nagar, New Patparganj Road, Sanjay Lake to terminate near the proposed Trilokpuri Metro station.
The in-principle approval was given by Delhi Chief Minister Shiela Dikshit at a meeting she presided over.
Engineering Consultancy company RITES Ltd put forward a presentation after conducting a feasibility study at the meeting. The proposal will be put before the Delhi cabinet.
“It has been decided that a detailed cabinet note will be discussed in a cabinet meeting to give a formal approval. The mono rail will have stations on nine-metre high pillars,” Sheila Dikshit told reporters.
Mono rail has also been recommended as a mass transit in Master Plan of Delhi 2021.
It is expected that initially mono rail in east Delhi will have daily ridership of around 1.5 lakh.
According to an official statement, the study conducted by RITES Ltd, has recommended a model which will not have any financial burden on the government. However, the Delhi State Industrial And Infrastructure Development Corporation will contribute in equity.
- DMRC asked for project report om monorail - Aug 01, 2012
- 900 unauthorised Delhi colonies to be regularised - Aug 15, 2012
- 900 unauthorised Delhi colonies to be regularised (Lead, Correcting date in para one) - Aug 15, 2012
- With rising ridership, Delhi Metro to have more gates - Jun 20, 2012
- Man shot at in Metro station - Feb 04, 2012
- UP to develop hi-tech industrial township in Bulandshahr - Sep 07, 2012
- Eight years on, Delhi Metro plans for Phase III (Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Metro ridership touches 18 lakh, sets new record - Aug 02, 2011
- Metro reaches Anand Vihar, to ease traffic (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2010
- Metro construction picks up; traffic snarls expected - Apr 21, 2012
- Shorter airport metro services likely to resume (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- BJP protests petrol price hike in capital - May 16, 2011
- Delhi Metro to train recruits for Gurgaon metro - Sep 17, 2012
- After Mumbai, Pune to get Metro - Jun 07, 2012
- Delhi Metro tries to curb suicides at stations - Sep 06, 2012
Tags: cabinet meeting, cabinet note, chief minister, consultancy company, delhi government, delhi state, development minister, east delhi, feasibility study, financial burden, formal approval, infrastructure development, metro station, mode of transportation, mono rail, ridership, sanjay, sheila dikshit, shiela, walia