Canada’s economy grows slightlyJune 30th, 2012 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Vancouver, June 30 (IANS) Canada’s real gross domestic product grew 0.3 percent in April, after edging up 0.1 percent in March, according to official statistics.
Most of the increase was attributed to mining, and oil and gas extraction, which rose 2.7 percent after declining 2.0 percent in February and 1.1 percent in March, said Statistics Canada Friday.
The growth was also driven by the increase of wholesale trade, which was up 1.2 percent, a fifth consecutive monthly rise, reported Xinhua.
Transportation and warehousing services rose 0.7 percent, as trucking and rail transportation benefited from the strength in mining and wholesale trade, said the statistics agency.
The output of agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting sector also grew in April.
However, retail trade fell 0.8 percent in the month after increasing 0.5 percent in March. Output decreased at clothing and clothing accessories stores, new car dealers as well as general merchandise stores.
Production in manufacturing, accommodation and food services and the public sector also declined.
- Inflation to remain between 6.5-7.5 percent: Mukherjee (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Inflation down by 6.87 percent - Aug 14, 2012
- Inflation eases, but food prices surge - Jul 16, 2012
- Retail inflation surges to 10.36 percent in April - May 18, 2012
- Inflation rises to 7.55 percent, food prices surge - Jun 14, 2012
- South Korea's industrial output shrinks in October - Nov 30, 2011
- South Korean industrial output contracts for three months - Jan 31, 2012
- US productivity down - May 04, 2012
- Industrial output grows at 0.1 percent in April - Jun 12, 2012
- Industrial output in July grows at 0.1 percent - Sep 12, 2012
- Need to take measures, says Pranab on poor IIP data (Roundup) - Jun 12, 2012
- Canada's trade with China triples in past decade - Apr 05, 2012
- Industrial output rises by 2.4 percent in May (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- South Korea's industrial output growth plunges - Apr 30, 2012
- Inflation accelerates to 7.23 percent in April - May 14, 2012
Tags: accessories stores, agriculture forestry, clothing accessories, food services, gas extraction, general merchandise, gross domestic product, merchandise stores, new car dealers, official statistics, oil and gas, public sector, rail transportation, retail trade, statistics agency, statistics canada, trucking, warehousing services, wholesale trade, xinhua