Canada’s economy grows 2.5 percent in 2011March 3rd, 2012 - 2:08 pm ICT by IANS
Ottawa, March 3 (IANS) Canada’s economy grew 2.5 percent in 2011, down from 3.2 percent in the previous year, but it is much better than the economists’ estimates a few months ago, and also slightly higher than the central bank’s prediction in January, Statistics Canada announced.
All major industrial sectors rose in 2011, with mining and oil and gas extraction, construction, the public sector, and manufacturing being the main contributors to overall growth, the agency said Friday.
The agency also said that business investment in plant and equipment contributed the most to GDP growth in 2011, reported Xinhua.
The pace of housing investment slowed to 2.3 percent in 2011 from 10.2 percent in 2010.
Growth in Canadian exports and imports both slowed in 2011, and the growth pace for consumer spending also slowed down.
In the fourth quarter of 2011, the growth rate of the economy slowed to 0.4 percent from 1.0 percent in the third quarter, and at an annual rate of 1.8 percent and 4.2 percent respectively.
The annualized rate was consistent with the economists’ expectation, and the consumption growth and business investment were stronger than expected.
Consumer spending on goods and services expanded 0.7 percent in the fourth quarter, up from the 0.4 percent gain in the previous quarter.
Business investment in plant and equipment advanced 2.0 percent, the eighth consecutive quarterly increase.
Housing investment slowed to 0.8 percent in the fourth quarter, well below the 2.5 percent increase in the previous quarter.
- Spanish economy back in recession - Apr 24, 2012
- US economy expands 1.3 percent in Q2 - Jul 30, 2011
- US economic growth down to 1.9 percent - May 31, 2012
- US economy grew 2.5 percent in third quarter - Oct 28, 2011
- US boosts second-quarter growth estimate to 1.3 percent - Sep 30, 2011
- US economic growth accelerates - Jan 28, 2012
- US personal incomes decline - Oct 01, 2011
- India growth increased strongly in Q4: IMF - Mar 14, 2012
- India showed strong growth amid global slowdown: IMF - Mar 15, 2012
- Japan's GDP growth lowered to 5.6 percent - Dec 09, 2011
- Canada's deficit down amid sluggish economy - Sep 01, 2012
- U.S. economy grows 3.2% in the first quarter - Apr 30, 2010
- US consumer spending, income up in January - Mar 02, 2012
- Brazil's accumulated GDP slows - Jun 04, 2011
- US banks see moderate economic growth with risks - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: business investment, canadian exports, consumer spending, consumption growth, economists, expectation, exports and imports, fourth quarter, gas extraction, gdp growth, growth pace, industrial sectors, oil and gas, ottawa march, previous year, public sector, quarter business, quarterly increase, statistics canada, xinhua