Calcutta power utility earns Rs.4,000 crore in FY11April 29th, 2011 - 6:12 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 29 (IANS) The gross revenue of power utility Calcutta Electric Supply Corporation (CESC) Limited has crossed Rs.4,000 crore ($9 million) during FY11, its vice-chairman Sanjiv Goenka said Friday.
“CESC’s gross revenue for the first time has crossed the Rs.4,000 crore mark. Profit Before Tax (PBT) for the fourth quarter of the last financial year increased by 17 percent to Rs.142 crore from Rs.121 crore during the corresponding period in the previous year,” Goenka told reporters here.
He said power generation of the company, which produces and supplies power to the city of Kolkata, during the year increased by 12 percent due to commissioning and satisfactory performance of the third unit of Budge Budge thermal plant in South 24-Parganas, which enabled the company to meet seven percent increase in demand.
On the recent hike in coal prices by the Coal India Limited (CIL), Goenka said: “Coal price hike bothers us. It has increased rapidly. Some discussion was needed before increasing the price arbitrarily.”
“We understand their (CIL) compulsions, but there should be a process (for price hike),” he said.
Stating that the coal price hike will lead to about Rs.250 crore cost increase for power generation per year, he said: “Due to the cost hike power tariff will increase.”
- Kolkata power firm may hike tariff - Aug 09, 2011
- Coal may have to be imported to meet power demand - Aug 12, 2012
- CESC sees 11 percent rise in profit before tax - Feb 10, 2011
- Coal India's net profit up by 12.94 pc in FY11 - May 25, 2011
- CESC's net profit up 12.7 percent - Jun 24, 2011
- Sponge iron units demand rollback of coal price hike - May 05, 2011
- CESC's Haldia thermal power project by 2013-14 - Jul 29, 2011
- Coal India rolls back recent price hike - Jan 31, 2012
- CESC's consolidated net profit down 11 percent - Jun 13, 2012
- Coal India's Q4 profit dips 5 percent - May 28, 2012
- CESC net up 137 percent in Q4 backed by tariff hike - May 08, 2012
- Coal India terms workers' strike for bonus illegal - Sep 24, 2011
- Coal India 'almost' finalises wage accord with unions - Jan 13, 2012
- CESC posts Rs.102 crore net profit in third quarter - Jan 22, 2010
- Shanghai Electric to supply equipment for Haldia plant - Sep 15, 2011
Tags: calcutta, cesc limited, coal india limited, coal india limited cil, coal price, coal prices, compulsions, crore, fourth quarter, goenka, gross revenue, kolkata, pbt, power generation, power tariff, price hike, rs 250, sanjiv, satisfactory performance, vice chairman