Cairn to begin exploration in Bihar after monsoonJuly 3rd, 2008 - 3:04 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 3 (IANS) Energy major Cairn India will begin the next phase of oil and natural gas exploration in Bihar after the monsoon, a company official said Thursday. The first proposed exploration well will be drilled in Darbhanga district, about 200 kilometres from Patna, with a rig contracted from American oilfield services provider Weatherford International, the official said.
The Houstan-based Weatherford International develops and supplies mechanical solutions, technology applications and services for all phases of oil and gas development. It operates in over 100 countries.
Cairn officials said the company has collected seismic data including information from an airborne geomagnetic survey of the block and two-dimensional seismic data over the past two years.
About 4.5 hectares of land has been provided in Darbhanga district for exploration.
Over 2,000 rock and soil samples are currently being analysed.
The administration has served notices to those whose land has been temporarily acquired, and the compensation payment process is underway.
The drill site construction will include the building of about 800 metres of approach road, a camp site and the well site.
The onshore block in northern Bihar was awarded under a production-sharing contract (PSC) by the centre in 2004. The block is in the Ganga Basin, one of the largest sedimentary basins in India but under-explored; to date, no commercial quantities of hydrocarbons have been discovered.
As per the PSC, Cairn India has a seven-year exploration period comprising three phases, which commenced from the issue of the Petroleum Exploration Licence in June 2005.
As operator of the PSC, Cairn India holds a 50 percent interest in this block, with its joint venture partner Cairn Energy PLC holding the remaining 50 percent interest through its subsidiary Capricorn Energy Ltd.
- Sri lanka finds first gas field off Mannar - Oct 03, 2011
- Canada's Bengal Energy gets Cauvery hycrocarbon block - Jul 01, 2010
- Sri Lanka says gas field found in northwestern sea - Oct 03, 2011
- Cairn India and PetroSA deal on oil exploration in South Africa - Aug 16, 2012
- Cairn India starts oil exploration in Sri Lanka - Aug 06, 2011
- Indian company drills second oil well in Sri Lanka - Oct 22, 2011
- Cairn chief meets India's oil minister after Vedanta deal - Aug 17, 2010
- ONGC says its approval needed for Cairn-Vedanta deal - Oct 21, 2010
- Reliance Industries violated gas contract: Auditor - Sep 08, 2011
- CAG critical of ONGC exploration performance - Aug 28, 2012
- SC notice to government on plea against Cairn-Vedanta deal - Apr 23, 2012
- Vedanta-Cairn deal depends on shareholders approval: Khurshid - Aug 25, 2010
- Cairn India strikes oil in Krishna Godavari basin - Aug 23, 2010
- ONGC's interest to be fully protected: Deora - Oct 27, 2010
- Vedanta meets all conditions for stake buy out: Cairn - Dec 07, 2011
Tags: approach road, basin one, commercial quantities, compensation payment, energy ltd, energy plc, exploration licence, ganga basin, houstan, mechanical solutions, natural gas exploration, northern bihar, oilfield services, petroleum exploration, sedimentary basins, seismic data, soil samples, solutions technology, venture partner, weatherford international