Cairn revises Barmer oil field upwards to 6.5 bn barrelsMarch 23rd, 2010 - 4:20 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 23 (IANS) Energy major Cairn India, which operates the biggest on-land oilfield in Rajasthan’s Barmer district, said the oil potential from this field had been revised upwards to 6.5 billion barrels of oil equivalent — from an earlier estimate of 4 billion barrels.
“We have done a comprehensive internal review of the block. We had also asked a US firm DeGolyer and MacNaughton to conduct an independent estimate and it was in line with our own estimates,” said Cairn India Managing Director and Chief Executive Rahul Dhir.
“We understand that there is 6.5 billion barrels of oil equivalent to be found and extracted (in Barmer block, Rajasthan),” said Dhir.
Cairn holds 70 percent stake in the field, while state-run ONGC holds the remaining 30 percent. So far Cairn India has invested about $4 billion. It will invest another $2 billion by 2011.
The company currently produces 20,000 barrels and expects this to increase to 125,000 barrels by the middle of 2010.
The approved maximum capacity for the Barmer field is 175,000 barrels of oil per day (bopd). With the increase in the size of the field, this capacity could go up to as high as 240,000 bopd.
“The resource base provides a basis for a vision to produce 240,000 barrels, subject to government of India’s approval and additional investments,” said the company in a statement.
- Cairn now puts Rajasthan oil field at 6.5 bn barrels (Lead) - Mar 23, 2010
- ONGC approves Cairn-Vedanta deal - Sep 28, 2011
- Vedanta meets all conditions for stake buy out: Cairn - Dec 07, 2011
- Vedanta buys out Cairn's India subsidiary - Dec 08, 2011
- Vedanta to pick up majority stake in Cairn India (Lead) - Aug 16, 2010
- Cairn to begin oil production from Rajasthan this month - Aug 02, 2009
- Cairn India starts crude sales through pipeline - Jun 15, 2010
- Cairn Energy tells Indian arm to accept government terms - Aug 23, 2011
- Vedanta enters oil prospecting with $8.5-$9.6 bn Cairn deal (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2010
- Cairn starts oil production in Rajasthan - Aug 29, 2009
- Bolivia plans $1.73 bn in energy investments in 2011 - Dec 27, 2010
- Cairn sees cost for Rajasthan crude prod at $5/bbl - Aug 20, 2009
- Vedanta not to hike Cairn India offer price - Oct 11, 2010
- India gives conditional approval to Cairn-Vedanta deal - Jun 30, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to inaugurate Mangala oil field in Rajasthan today - Aug 29, 2009
Tags: barmer, bopd, cairn india, degolyer and macnaughton, estimates, government of india, investments, managing director, maximum capacity, New Delhi, oil equivalent, oil field, oilfield, ongc, percent stake, rahul, rajasthan, resource base