CAG report tabled amid commotion in parliament (Second Lead)November 16th, 2010 - 7:43 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 16 (IANS) Parliament’s proceedings were repeatedly disrupted Tuesday as opposition MPs continued to demand a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) probe into the 2G spectrum allocation scam but the government hurriedly managed to table the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) report in both houses despite the commotion.
The Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha had to be adjourned for the day. With Wednesday being a holiday because of Eid-al-Azha, parliament will resume Thursday.
The trouble began as soon as the Lok Sabha met with MPs from the opposition National Democratic Alliance (NDA) and the Left parties shouting slogans of “We want justice” and “Order JPC probe into spectrum scam”.
Speaker Meira Kumar adjourned the house till 12 noon.
But the protests continued when the house reassembled. Girija Vyas, who was presiding at the time, rushed through some official business, including the tabling of the CAG report on the 2G spectrum scam. When the din continued, she adjourned the house till Thursday.
Similar scenes were witnessed in the Rajya Sabha. As opposition members disrupted proceedings and demanded the setting up of a JPC, Deputy Chairman K. Rahman Khan adjourned the house till 12 noon. Later, the Rajya Sabha was adjourned till 2 p.m.
Finally, the upper house was adjourned for the day at 2 p.m. as the opposition continued its vociferous protests. Amid the noisy scenes, the chair rushed through some official business, including the tabling of the CAG report.
The government had hoped that the resignation of A. Raja as communications and IT minister would cool the situation. But the opposition has refused to relent and is sticking to its demand for a JPC probe.
- 2G scam: Both houses of parliament adjourned (Lead) - Nov 18, 2010
- Parliament adjourned till noon - yet again - Dec 10, 2010
- Raja's ouster fails to break parliament logjam (Roundup) - Nov 15, 2010
- Parliament adjourned for the day, Pranab calls all-party meeting (Lead) - Nov 22, 2010
- Parliament adjourned over JPC demand (Lead) - Dec 09, 2010
- Parliament adjourned till noon - Dec 09, 2010
- Day 9 of parliament adjournment, JPC deadlock continues (Second Lead) - Nov 24, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned for day, Rajya Sabha till 2 p.m. (Lead) - Nov 16, 2010
- Parliament adjourned again, BJP vows protests (Lead) - Dec 10, 2010
- Parliament adjourned for week over 2G spectrum scam, Raja (Second Lead) - Nov 11, 2010
- Parliament adjourned till Thursday - Nov 10, 2010
- 2G scam: BJP sticks to JPC demand - Nov 30, 2010
- Lok Sabha adjourned till 12, Rajya Sabha for day - Dec 06, 2010
- Parliament adjourned for 11th day, MPs pay tribute to 26/11 victims (Roundup) - Nov 26, 2010
- Parliament adjourned, but Lok Sabha passes appropriation bills (Second Lead) - Dec 01, 2010
Tags: commotion, comptroller, deputy chairman, eid, eid al azha, girija, left parties, Lok Sabha, meira kumar, national democratic alliance, nda, noisy scenes, opposition members, parliamentary committee, raja, rajya sabha, slogans, spectrum allocation, upper house, vyas