Cable networks must go digital by 2014May 8th, 2012 - 10:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 8 (IANS) The Cable Television Networks (Regulation) Amendment Act, 2011 has made it mandatory for switch-over of the existing analogue Cable TV networks to Digital Addressable System (DAS) by December 2014 in a phased manner, an official statement said Tuesday.
The digital switch-over in four metros - Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata and Chennai - is to be completed by June 30, 2012. Taking note of the concerns raised by some stakeholders regarding the quality of Set Top Boxes (STBs) and the redressal of grievances of the cable TV subscribers, necessary provisions have been incorporated in the Cable Television Networks (Amendment) Rules, 2012, the release said.
As per the rules, the STBs to be supplied by the Multi System Operators (MSOs) must conform to the quality standards specified by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI). The MSOs are also required to devise a mechanism for grievance redressal, as specified by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), and inform the details thereof to the subscribers.
- Ready to meet digitalisation deadline: Cable TV operators - Jun 01, 2012
- Tata Sky gearing up to meet demand post-digitisation - Feb 15, 2012
- Amity becomes first in India to host "Digitization of Cable TV Distribution System" seminar - Dec 15, 2010
- Telecom regulator recommends digital broadcast by 2013 - Aug 05, 2010
- TRAI To Implement Digital Addressable Cable TV Systems In India By 2013 - Aug 10, 2010
- TRAI move on STB interoperability receives mixed response - Sep 17, 2010
- Bill to digitalise cable TV passed by Lok Sabha - Dec 13, 2011
- TRAI launches consumer portal, to track complaints - Apr 30, 2012
- TRAI seeks initial response on 2G spectrum auction by Feb 15 - Feb 03, 2012
- Rs.2.15 lakh crore collected as spectrum, licence fee - Aug 17, 2011
- Cabinet clears digitisation of TV broadcasts - Oct 13, 2011
- Digital broadcast signals to take over Analog by 2013: TRAI - Jul 30, 2010
- Operators must offer calls at 1 paisa per second plan: TRAI - Apr 20, 2012
- TRAI rules out compensation for number portability - Dec 03, 2010
- Over 41,000 complaints against telcos in April-Oct - Nov 30, 2011
Tags: amendment act, analogue, cable networks, cable television networks, cable tv networks, cable tv subscribers, chennai, digital switch, grievance, grievances, kolkata, metros, necessary provisions, New Delhi, quality standards, stakeholders, stbs, system operators, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india