Cabinet refers one-time spectrum fee issue to EGoMJuly 3rd, 2012 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 3 (IANS) The cabinet Tuesday did not take any decision on the proposal to charge a one-time, auction-determined fee for all airwaves held by existing telecom operators and referred it to the Empowered Group of Ministers (EGoM), a top government official said.
“The cabinet has referred the issue of one time spectrum fee to the EGoM has to send its recommendations back to the cabinet,” the official said after the meeting.
The department of telecom (DoT) has proposed to levy on incumbent operators a one-time spectrum charge for the remaining period of their licences.
According to sources, the DoT has made three proposals to the cabinet - imposing a one time fee on all airwaves held by existing operators, imposing the fee on spectrum beyond the start-up spectrum that is 4.4 MHz or to impose the fee on spectrum held beyond the contracted spectrum of 6.2 MHz.
A decision taken to charge the fee would hit the operators including Bharti Airtel and Vodafone, who have not been affected by the Supreme Court’s ruling to cancel the 122 licences issued in 2008, but will then have to shell huge chunks of money.
According to the DoT, this will ensure a level playing field among all the operators.
As of now it is not clear when the EGoM meeting would take place. A meeting scheduled for Monday was postponed earlier and by the evening its new head, Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar even opted out of the panel.
Last month, an EGoM meeting was to take place under the chairmanship of the then finance minister Pranab Mukherjee.
But it was deferred as Mukherjee apparently did not want to sit on judgment on a controversial issue as he was heading for the presidential poll.
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging - Jul 12, 2012
- Chidambaram expected to head EGoM on spectrum - Jul 06, 2012
- EGoM defers decision on one-time spectrum fee issue - Jul 24, 2012
- EGoM to recommend spectrum price, but cabinet to take call - Jul 20, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum deferred - Jun 21, 2012
- Cabinet okays Rs.14,000 crore spectrum reserve price (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- DoT to meet operators on spectrum reserve price - Jul 13, 2012
- EGoM to decide on spectrum pricing Thursday - Jun 20, 2012
- Reserve price of spectrum major concern: COAI - Jun 30, 2012
- No decision on 2G pricing, EGoM favours refarming spectrum - Jun 05, 2012
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- 2G spectrum base price decision deferred till Friday (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Telecom EGoM to recommend lower reserve price to cabinet for approval (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- EGoM on telecom approves spectrum mortgaging (Lead) - Jul 12, 2012
- EGoM on 2G spectrum auction issues deferred again - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: agriculture minister, bharti airtel, chairmanship, chunks, controversial issue, finance minister, government official, incumbent operators, judgment, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, presidential poll, proposal, proposals, sharad pawar, telecom operators, time auction, time fee, time spectrum, vodafone