Cabinet nod to census on caste, religion and povertyMay 19th, 2011 - 3:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 19 (IANS) The government Thursday approved a proposal to conduct a survey based on caste, religion and economic conditions that will help in identifying people living below and above the poverty line and their social backgrounds.
The proposed census was approved at the union cabinet meeting here chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The survey is expected to begin soon. Information of caste and religion will help in evaluating the widely held belief that social and religious backgrounds had limited economic opportunities for most Indians, official sources said.
Census enumerators will distribute questionnaires regarding caste and religion asking just two questions to respondents: What is your caste and what is your religion.
But the enumeration of people on poverty lines is a technical process and would involve many questions like the number of family members, daily income and expenses, sources said.
The poverty census was earlier carried out in in 2002 but it would be the first time that this information would be clubbed with data about caste and religion.
- Cabinet nod to simultaneous caste, religion, poverty census (Lead) - May 19, 2011
- India to carry out caste, creed, poverty census together (Second Lead) - May 19, 2011
- Independent India's first caste census kicks off (Lead) - Jun 29, 2011
- Independent India's first caste census kicks-off - Jun 29, 2011
- India begins 1.2 billion population headcount (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2011
- New census to estimate India's poor with caste, religion (Roundup) - May 19, 2011
- India begins headcount of its 1.2 billion population (Intro Roundup) - Feb 09, 2011
- Fine-tuning of poor headcount required: Minister - May 21, 2011
- Counting India's poor begins Wednesday - Jun 28, 2011
- Bihar to launch caste census from April 20 - Apr 19, 2012
- Panchayat members to accompany caste census enumerators - Aug 08, 2011
- Vice President Ansari enumerated for second phase of Census 2011 - Feb 09, 2011
- Plan panel's poverty line not to impact socio-economic census - Sep 27, 2011
- Count of India's poor begins Wednesday from Tripura (Lead) - Jun 28, 2011
- India does first urban poverty survey - May 31, 2011
Tags: cabinet meeting, cabinet nod, caste, census enumerators, economic conditions, economic opportunities, family members, indians, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, poverty line, poverty lines, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, questionnaires, religious backgrounds, respondents, social backgrounds, union cabinet