Cabinet clears upgrade of highways in north-eastJuly 24th, 2008 - 6:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 24 (IANS) The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) Thursday approved the upgrading of three national highways and construction of a new four-lane roadway in the north-east region, as well as additional expenses of Rs.1.5 billion. The three national highways to be upgraded are Silghat-Tezpur, Jamgudi-Gohpur, and Gohpur-Itanagar, while the new four-lane highway will connect Tezpur to Jamgudi.
A bridge will also be constructed over Jia Bharali river as part of the Tezpur-Jamgudi highway.
An official spokesman said pre-construction activities of these projects - being executed under phase A of the Special Accelerated Road Development Programme for North Eastern Region (SARDP-NE) - will cost Rs.1.5 billion.
This will raise the SARDP-NE budget to Rs.48.23 billion.
The CCEA had earlier approved Rs.46.73 billion for phase A, targeted to be completed by 2012-13.
“Upgrading national highways would improve connectivity to Arunachal Pradesh, Assam and other areas located on the northern banks of Brahmaputra. It will also ease traffic flow and give boost to the socio-economic development of the north-eastern states and would generate investment and job opportunities,” the spokesman said.
- India to improve road links with Bangladesh, Myanmar - Dec 20, 2009
- Government clears three highway projects - Jan 12, 2012
- IVRCL Group bags orders worth Rs.4,081 crore - Apr 02, 2012
- CCI approves road construction projects in Arunachal Pradesh - Mar 04, 2010
- Nod to highway projects worth Rs.4,814 crore - Mar 01, 2012
- Punjab to link all cities with highways - Apr 23, 2012
- Rs.12 bn Pakistani expressway inaugurated - Aug 31, 2011
- Pakistan's Karakoram Highway expansion to cost Rs.25 bn - Apr 20, 2011
- Four-laning of highway in Madhya Pradesh approved - Sep 06, 2011
- Gammon Infra bags contract worth Rs.850 crore - Nov 20, 2009
- Central government okays National Highway expansion in Kerala - Jan 15, 2009
- Ramky Infra bags two road projects worth Rs.2,240.65 crore - Dec 01, 2011
- Four-laning of Shimla-Pathankot highway gets nod - Sep 03, 2012
- L&T; clinches Rs.2,164-crore road development project - Dec 13, 2011
- Government approves 1,412-km trans-Arunachal Pradesh highway - Jan 09, 2009
Tags: arunachal pradesh, assam, brahmaputra, bridge, budget, cabinet committee, ccea, construction activities, eastern states, economic affairs, economic development, job opportunities, lane roadway, national highways, New Delhi, northern banks, pre construction, rs 1, spokesman, traffic flow