Buying luxury cars, bikes to be costlier in DelhiJune 8th, 2010 - 10:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 8 (IANS) Buying a luxury car or a high-end motorcycle will be costlier in the capital from Wednesday with Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna giving assent to hiked road taxes for vehicles.
The Delhi cabinet May 24 decided to raise the road tax rates in a bid to generate additional revenue for the government.
“The notification to this effect will come tomorrow (Wednesday) as the lieutenant governor has returned the file after giving his approval,” a Delhi government official said.
According to the revised road tax rates, two-wheelers costing up to Rs.25,000 will be charged at the prevailing two percent, while two-wheelers costing between Rs.25,000 and Rs.40,000 will now attract four percent road tax and those above Rs.40,000 will be charged six percent.
The rate for cars, priced up to Rs.6 lakh, has been doubled to four percent, while it has gone up to seven percent on those costing between Rs.6 lakh and Rs.10 lakh. Those buying motor vehicles costing Rs.10 lakh would have to pay a road tax of 10 percent.
However, public utility vehicles such as public goods carriers have been exempted from the hike.
According to the official, about 1,000 new vehicles are registered in the city every day. There are around 6 million vehicles in Delhi, which has an estimated population of 12 million.
- Buying luxury cars, bikes becomes costlier in Delhi - Jun 09, 2010
- Delhi hikes road tax for luxury cars, high-end bikes - May 24, 2010
- Nano begins much-awaited Nepal journey - Jun 01, 2011
- Gains and losses from Budget 2012-13 - Mar 16, 2012
- Gehlot presents populist budget with eye to coming polls - Mar 26, 2012
- Mukherjee's budget promises tax relief, subsidy cut, reforms (Fourth Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- Tata Nano sale starts in Nepal from NRS 7.98 lakh - Jun 26, 2011
- Car sales growth lowest in last seven months - Jun 11, 2012
- Government approves plan to promote hybrid vehicles - Aug 29, 2012
- Auto industry to entice customers with new launches in 2011 - Jan 16, 2011
- Delhi cabinet ignores Khanna's views on new land rates - Nov 04, 2010
- Excise, customs duties on large, foreign-made vehicles hiked - Mar 16, 2012
- Interest rates, fuel price hike dampen automobile sector (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
- Budget blues: People not impressed - Mar 16, 2012
- Car-makers to raise prices after excise duty hike (Lead) - Feb 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,