Bus unions demand immediate fare hikeSeptember 14th, 2012 - 1:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 14 (IANS) In the wake of the abrupt Rs.5 hike in diesel prices, bus and minibus operators in West Bengal Friday threatened to go on an indefinite strike if fares were not immediately raised.
“How will we run buses if we don’t have the money? With an increase of Rs.5 per litre, it is next to impossible for us to run buses under this current fare structure. The fares have to be increased,” said Aboshesh Da of a minibus union.
“The state government should leave its ignorance in the matter of increasing fares because if the fares are not increased we the bus owners will simply die. Today, we are having a meeting then we will announce our final decision.”
The union government Thursday announced a hike in diesel price by Rs.5 a litre and restricted availability of subsidised cooking gas cylinders per family to six per year. The decisions came into effect midnight Thursday.
“In my entire life I have never seen such a sharp rise in diesel prices. The state government has to increase the bus fares with immediate effect because if it is not increased most of the buses will stop plying. Already several buses have stopped plying,” said Sadhan Das of Joint Council of Bus Syndicate.
Asked what bus operators would do if the state government refused to hike fares, Das said: “Then we have no other option other than going on an indefinite strike.”
- Hold your horses, Bengal minister tells taxi, bus owners (Lead) - Sep 14, 2012
- Bengal bus operators to demand fare hike - Jun 27, 2010
- West Bengal's bus, taxi operators demand fare hike (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Bengal public transport operators call three-day strike - Jul 29, 2010
- Private bus operators in Kerala to go on strike - Jun 25, 2011
- West Bengal: Talks fail between government, transporters - Jul 28, 2010
- Bengal transporters defer three-day strike till Aug 22 - Aug 08, 2010
- CITU calls 24-hour transport strike in West Bengal July 31 - Jul 26, 2012
- West Bengal given 10-day deadline for bus fare hike - Jun 29, 2010
- 'Fuel price hike cripples transporters, economy of country' - Jun 25, 2011
Tags: bus fares, bus operators, bus owners, buses, decisions, diesel price, diesel prices, fare hike, fare structure, final decision, gas cylinders, indefinite strike, litre, minibus, money, state government, syndicate, union government, unions, west bengal