Bus owners in Kolkata to go on strikeJuly 7th, 2008 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 7 (IANS) The bus owners’ associations of West Bengal have decided to go on a strike July 10 to protest the rate of increase in bus fares. “If we are to follow the new bus fare rates that are to be applied soon, then there will be huge daily losses. So we have decided to go on a strike July 10,” Bengal Bus Syndicate spokesperson Swarnakamal Saha told reporters Monday here.
According to officials, Transport Minister Subhas Chakraborty has called for a meeting with representatives of the associations Tuesday.
“We will attend the meeting Tuesday but don’t think this matter can be solved through mere discussions,” said Joint Council of Bus Syndicate spokesperson Sadhan Das.
Chakraborty had earlier announced that bus fares would be increased by a maximum of Re.1 from July to keep up with the increased petroleum products price.
The price of diesel has been increased by Rs.3 per litre, of petrol by Rs.5 and that of cooking gas by Rs.50 per cylinder.
- Bengal bus operators to demand fare hike - Jun 27, 2010
- West Bengal's bus, taxi operators demand fare hike (Lead) - Jun 27, 2010
- Bengal public transport operators call three-day strike - Jul 29, 2010
- Bengal bus operators want taxes on oil cut - Jun 25, 2010
- West Bengal: Talks fail between government, transporters - Jul 28, 2010
- West Bengal given 10-day deadline for bus fare hike - Jun 29, 2010
- Bengal transporters defer three-day strike till Aug 22 - Aug 08, 2010
- Bengal minister asks transporters to defer strike - Aug 07, 2010
- Bengal bus operators pull out of strike, CITU to go ahead - Jul 28, 2012
- CITU calls 24-hour transport strike in West Bengal July 31 - Jul 26, 2012
- Petrol prices to be hiked by 70 paise from midnight (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Bengal taxi operators threaten indefinite strike - Aug 19, 2010
- CITU calls 24-hour Bengal transport strike, Mamata fumes (Second Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- Taxi strike commences in Kolkata over fare hike - Jul 15, 2010
- Fuel prices revised countrywide - Jul 25, 2012