Burney pledges support for Sarabjit SinghApril 4th, 2008 - 12:35 pm ICT by admin
Bhatinda, Apr 4 (ANI): Pakistan’s human rights activist Ansar Burney has assured support in the fight for Sarabjit Singh’s release, but said the final decision rested with President Musharraf.
Burney has been gathering evidence on Sarabjit and has also met several Pakistanis in Indian jails.
“I will go through the details of the case. I would request Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal to ask his officials to show me the details of the FIR and other documents. Though it is the prerogative of Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf to free Sarabjit. It is his authority to decide to commute his capital punishment to life imprisonment,” Burney told reporters after meeting Badal.
On Wednesday, Burney visited Sarabjit Singh’s family at his ancestral village at Bhikhiwind.
Dalbir Kaur, Sarabjit’s sister handed copies of Sarabjit’s ration card, voter list, bank passbook, driving license, police report about disappearance of Sarabjit a CD of Pakistani national Salim Shaukat, who in one of the interview with a private TV channel had admitted that he was forced to give witness against Sarabjit.
While assuring the family members of Sarbjit, Burney said that he would be talking to Rana Abdul Hameed, counsel of Sarabjit to discuss his case before submitting his summary to President Pervez Musharraf urging clemency for him.
Family members of as many as half a dozen Indians including prisoners of war from Sirsa, Jammu and many other places met Burney and urged him for helping them in locating their loved ones who has been languishing in various jails of Pakistan. (ANI)
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Punjab assembly resolution seeks Sarabjit's release - Jun 29, 2012
- Burney's visit raises hopes of Sarabjit Singh's family - Apr 02, 2008
- Sarabjit's village protests Pakistan's apex court judgement - Jun 25, 2009
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
Tags: ancestral village, ansar burney, badal, bhatinda, chief minister, final decision, half a dozen, jails, life imprisonment, pakistanis, passbook, pervez musharraf, police report, prerogative, president musharraf, prisoners of war, private tv channel, ration card, salim, urging clemency