Burberry to cut 540 jobsJanuary 21st, 2009 - 4:49 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 21 (IANS) British luxury fashion brand Burberry plans to cut about 540 jobs in Britain and Spain to better cope with the economic slowdown.Burberry will close a sewing factory in Rotherham, which could result in the loss of 290 jobs. Manufacturing will then be focused in Castleford, Yorkshire, where Burberry trench coats are made, reports telegraph.co.uk.
The other 250 jobs will go in Spain, where the company plans to close its Thomas Burberry business - a brand made mainly for the Spanish market and scale back the rest of its operations.
Burberry’s Chief Financial Officer Stacey Cartwright said: “Customers are willing to spend money on more conservative items such as trench coats and handbags and are restricting their splurging power.”
“It is not a pricing question in the current climate. It is a footfall that consumers are cutting back on the amount they buy and hence it is affecting the sales,” she said.
- Huntington-Whiteley bares for new Burberry ad - Jul 13, 2011
- Burberry trench coat worn by Kate Middleton causes fashion frenzy - Mar 11, 2011
- Pakistanis jailed for sexual crimes in Britain - Nov 06, 2010
- Barrow Raiders Makes History, Beats Castleford Tigers - Apr 19, 2010
- Make a fashion splash with your monsoon rainwear - Jun 19, 2011
- Women make style statements with hats at royal wedding - Apr 29, 2011
- 5 Asian 'sexual predators' jailed for 32 yrs for abusing girls as young as 12 - Nov 06, 2010
- Military kids should be given free books: British MP - Jan 16, 2012
- Brit Christian electrician wins battle to display cross in his van - Apr 22, 2011
- Keira Knightley splurges on high-end fashion only if her mum allows - Feb 01, 2011
- Rosie Huntington Replaces Emma Watson As Face Of Burberry - Aug 09, 2010
- Christopher Bailey named 'Designer of the Year' - Dec 10, 2009
- Rotherham 'UFO' spotted in Harrogate - Nov 02, 2010
- Perry meditates to beat stress - Jul 05, 2012
- Burberry ends talks with Interparfums - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: burberry trench coats, cartwright, castleford, chief financial officer, climate, consumers, economic slowdown, fashion brand, footfall, handbags, jan 21, jobs in britain, london jan, luxury fashion, rotherham, sewing factory, spanish market, telegraph, thomas burberry, yorkshire