Bulk of salaries spent on paying off loans: Industry groupJune 21st, 2009 - 6:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 20 (IANS) Even as the average salary has gone up by 30 percent, the actual take-home has fallen 30 percent in the last 10 years on account of monthly loan repayments, a report by an industry lobby released Sunday said.
According to the Associated Chamber of Commerce and Industry (Assocham), the sectors in which the pinch of equated monthly instalments or EMIs is most painful for employees include IT, automobile, hospitality, civil aviation, manufacturing and textile.
The chamber reached its conclusion following a survey of 5,000 people between March and May.
Assocham secretary general D.S. Rawat said that on an average, a person with a monthly salary of Rs.25,000 paid around Rs.10,000 in EMIs that include repayment for purchase of house, automobile, and luxury items, apart from insurance premium which averaged around Rs.2,500.
“About 85 percent of respondent belonging to the middle class spent on EMIs for home loan, education loan, insurance premiums as their top priorities, followed by lifestyle goods,” Rawat said.
About 50 percent of respondents said their take-home is up to 40 percent of their total package, the survey found.
In addition, about 30 percent said they shelled out between Rs.4,000-5,000 in repaying office loans.
–Indo-Asian News service
- Urban teens pocket money swelling despite inflation: Survey - Mar 06, 2011
- Youngsters across India crazy for brands: Assocham - Jul 24, 2011
- Micro-financing empowers women in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 09, 2012
- Ranchi tops tier-III cities in creating jobs in Q4: Report - Mar 21, 2011
- Indian youth hooked to text messaging: Survey - May 18, 2011
- India Inc. business confidence hits two-year low - Aug 28, 2011
- Corporate advertisement budget up by 30-40 percent - Sep 27, 2010
- Students opting for e-tutoring: Study - Sep 11, 2011
- Mumbaikars top list of online shoppers: Assocham - Jul 03, 2011
- Karnataka lags behind in attracting FDI: Assocham - Aug 28, 2012
- High price of essentials hits average Indian in metros - Aug 28, 2011
- Reliance Capital consolidated net profit rises 9 percent - May 30, 2011
- Delhi's youth in high spirits during World Cup - Mar 25, 2011
- HDFC Standard Life sells 4,000 Smart Woman policies - Jul 24, 2012
- Assocham for tax holiday for five-star hotels - Nov 25, 2009
Tags: ank, asian news, assocham, average salary, chamber of commerce and industry, civil aviation, education loan, industry group, instalments, insurance premium, insurance premiums, loan insurance, loan repayments, luxury items, middle class, rawat, respondent, rs 2, secretary general, top priorities