Briton lands job standing with placard in rainJuly 25th, 2010 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 25 (IANS) A jobless Briton who stood for hours in pouring rain with a placard saying “please give me a job” was surprised when a passing businessman offered him one on the spot.
Mark Wheeldon, 23, a resident of Newcastle-under-Lyme, 217 km from London, had failed to find employment after spending the past two years caring for a partner suffering from rheumatoid arthritis.
He got fed up and devised a plan to get him noticed on the job market. He decided to stand on one of the busiest roads in nearby Stoke-on-Trent town and advertise himself to passing motorists during the morning rush hour.
Mark lay awake all night thinking about the plan before rising at 5 a.m. to design a placard from a piece of cardboard.
After nearly three hours of standing in heavy downpour, Vince Champion, director of a timber factory, spotted him. He took his interview straightaway and offered him the job 20 minutes later, the Daily Mail reported.
Mark soon found himself making frames at the Smart Timber Frame Company by midday.
“I was planning to stay until the evening rush hour and then keep coming back until someone gave me a job. I had been everywhere looking for work but I’d had no luck, so I thought I may as well as just go down and stand by the traffic,” Mark said.
“When you are desperate for work you will do anything to find a job.”
Vince Champion, his present employer, said: “I thought if someone could stand there in that deluge - and it was absolutely torrential rain - then they must be determined to find a job. My attitude was that he would be an asset to any company.”
- Unemployed Brit man gets work after holding 'Give me a job' sign in rain! - Jul 24, 2010
- WWE Raw: Triple H Takes Over WWE, Fires Vince McMahon! - Jul 19, 2011
- WWE Raw: Punk/McMahon Negotiations, Cena Handicapped Match - Jul 12, 2011
- Newcastle-under-Lyme town has nine bins for every home - Feb 17, 2011
- For the timber smugglers the summer of unrest, a boon - Jan 16, 2011
- Chinese debutant Cao stuns Allen at world snooker - Apr 23, 2012
- Vince Young Loses Cool After Titan's Debacle - Nov 22, 2010
- Briton sues ex-boss for parading him with thief sign - Jul 23, 2010
- David Cameron's new baby girl 'sleeps in cardboard box' - Sep 25, 2010
- Coach backs out, TT players Olympics preparations suffer - Jul 14, 2011
- Entoutage's Latest Episode Airs Tonight On HBO - Jul 05, 2010
- Entourage finale aired - Sep 12, 2011
- WWE Raw: McMahon is Back - Feb 08, 2011
- California Man Pleads Guilty to Lyme Disease Fraud - Sep 25, 2010
- BMW 'burns' logo on viewers' eyes to 'see' ad even when they're shut! - Dec 21, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,