British tourists to Goa dip, Russian arrivals shoot upAugust 2nd, 2012 - 6:28 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, Aug 2 (IANS) The number of tourists from Britain to Goa has declined 30 percent, but Russian tourists have swelled by more than 200 percent over the last two years, the state assembly was told Thursday.
According to data tabled in the house by the tourism ministry, the top arrivals at Goa’s sunny beaches in 2010 and 2011 were from European countries, namely Germany, Finland, France, Switzerland and Sweden, apart from Russia and Britain.
While 154,122 tourists arrived from Britain to Goa in 2010, the number shrank to 117,683 in 2011. On the other hand, the number of Russian tourists coming into Goa rose to a staggering 133,780 in 2011 from 57,623 in the preceding year.
The figures also show that until June this year, 43,717 British tourists landed in Goa, while the number of Russians holidaying in Goa in the same period was 51,461.
- Russians nudge Britons from top in Goa - Mar 22, 2012
- Britons top Goa tourist arrivals - Mar 16, 2011
- Russians top charter tourist numbers in Goa - May 27, 2011
- Over 4,000 foreigners got Indian visa on arrival - May 10, 2011
- Foreign exchange earnings from tourism surge 50 percent - Feb 06, 2012
- 5,644 on-arrival visas issued till November - Dec 09, 2010
- Tourism to Sri Lanka is booming - Jul 20, 2012
- 34 percent jump in visas on arrival Jan-March - Apr 10, 2012
- India leads foreign tourists in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Russian, Israeli tourists more of menace to Goa: Faleiro - Aug 14, 2012
- 6,500 tourists availed visa on arrival in 2010 - Jan 07, 2011
- Over 12,000 visitors get Indian visa on arrival - Jan 31, 2012
- Over 9,000 foreigners got Indian visa on arrival - Nov 11, 2011
- Rise in Visa on Arrivals in June 2012 - Jul 11, 2012
- More than 800 visas on arrival issued in July - Aug 12, 2011