British sub-centre in Kerala to boost tourismJanuary 19th, 2012 - 4:39 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 19 (IANS) The British deputy high commission is all set to open a sub-centre here to give a boost to trade and tourism, says a Kerala official, with tourists from Britain accounting for a fourth of international visitors to the state.
Rani George, the Kerala tourism director, said the sub-centre would start functioning from April. “This office is basically meant to strengthen trade and tourism activities between Kerala and the UK. It will not handle visa enquiries,” said George.
The new office comes at a time when the tourism department has come out with tentative figures for tourist arrivals for 2011.
“The figures show tourists from the UK constitute one-fourth of all international tourists in our state,” said George.
The number of international tourists went up from 6.50 lakh in 2010 to 7.30 lakh in 2011 and the foreign exchange earned also grew at 11.18 percent, touching Rs.4,221 crore.
There has also been an increase in tourists from France, Germany, the US and Australia.
- Kerala records rise in tourist arrivals - Jan 19, 2012
- Kerala best tourist destination, shows survey - Feb 18, 2012
- Kerala chosen best tourism destination second year running - Feb 18, 2012
- Brand Kerala shines at Spanish tourism fair - Jan 24, 2012
- Kerala open to setting up motor racetrack - Apr 26, 2012
- F1 race track in Kerala will boost tourism: Narain Karthikeyan (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Kerala Tourism to hold first-ever road show in Saudi Arabia - May 04, 2012
- Kerala tourism goes hitech - Jul 09, 2012
- Sachin, Waugh, Deepika to be Kerala Tourism ambassadors? - May 07, 2012
- Southern states' tourism ministers meet in Kerala - Aug 19, 2011
- Bekal is destination next in 'God's Own Country' - May 10, 2012
- Russians nudge Britons from top in Goa - Mar 22, 2012
- Kerala Tourism upbeat after Australia roadshows - Oct 29, 2011
- Goa hosted 2.68 million tourists in 2011-12 - Apr 24, 2012
- Bachchan to lure tourists to more Gujarat sites - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: accounting, australia, foreign exchange, france germany, international tourists, international visitors, jan 19, kerala tourism, lakh, tourism activities, tourism department, tourism director, tourist arrivals, visa