British Minimum Wage Up To 5.93 Pounds an HourOctober 2nd, 2010 - 12:59 am ICT by Angela Kaye Mason
Oct 1 (THAINDIAN NEWS) There was good news in Britain today, as the national minimum wage increase went into effect, bringing the new sum up to £5.93, which is $9.38 in the United States. It is also the first time that the minimum wage increase will also effect employees who are under 22 year of age.
For sixteen and seventeen year old employees, their minimum wage will increase from £3.57 an hour to £3.64. Eighteen to twenty year olds will also see an increase, from £4.83 to £4.92 an hour, and there has also been a new minimum wage which was introduced for apprentices who are under nineteen years old, of £2.50 an hour.
The British Retail Consortium issued a warning with these raises, however. If the increase in minimum wage for next year is larger than 1.7%, then it could cause employers to cease hiring any new workers, and cause a halt in job creation. The government must therefore try to find the right balance between raises wages for the current workers, or trying to keep it low enough for new hires to exist.
- Minimum wage raised to Pounds 5.93 an hour in Britain - Oct 01, 2010
- Workers at two Indian eateries in US get $95,000 in back pay - Apr 05, 2011
- No minimum wages in 34 industries in Bangladesh - Aug 26, 2010
- New wages for Dhaka's garment workers - Jul 30, 2010
- Indian Govt to set minimum wages for workers wanting to work in UAE - Feb 18, 2011
- Dhaka workers go on rampage to protest new wage structure (Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- BMS plans rally in Delhi against fuel price hike - Nov 05, 2011
- Workers flay low minimum wages, graft - Nov 23, 2011
- Comstar Automotive summoned to attend meeting - Aug 27, 2011
- MCD acted on only 357 of 8,030 illegal construction complaints - Nov 23, 2010
- Indonesian police arrest 27 after violent wage protests - Nov 26, 2011
- Venezuela to increase minimum wage by 26.5 percent - Apr 27, 2011
- Indian embassy in UAE raises minimum wages for workers - Mar 15, 2011
- Houseboat business struggles to stay afloat (Kerala Newsletter) - Jun 23, 2012
- PM to decide giving minimum wages to NREGA workers: Joshi - Nov 20, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , ,