British infertility clinic opens centre in KeralaApril 14th, 2011 - 6:24 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, April 14 (IANS) Britain-based Bourn Hall, the world’s first in vitro fertilization (IVF) clinic established by pioneers Professor Robert Edwards and Doctor Patrick Steptoe in 1980, Thursday launched its first Indian centre in Kochi.
The new assisted conception clinic here will provide a range of fertility treatment services to the same high ethical and quality standards set by Bourn Hall Clinic in Britain, said Mike Macnamee, chief executive, Bourn Hall Clinic.
He said bringing the Bourn Hall treatment services here, is a step forward towards the dream of our founders, of making fertility treatment widely available to all who need it.
“Infertility is a universal problem. We will open more clinics in India in the next few years. Our second clinic will be in Delhi,” said Macnamee.
Also present at the launch of the Kochi clinic was Peter Brinsden, group medical director, Bourn Hall International and president of the British Fertility Society.
It was Edwards’ pioneering work with Steptoe that led to the birth of the world’s first “test-tube” baby Louise Brown July 25, 1978.
In 2010, Edwards was awarded the Nobel Prize in Medicine for the development of the IVF technique.
- Britain's Bourn Hall opens second IVF clinic in India - Sep 07, 2012
- British pioneer of In Vitro Fertilization wins Nobel Prize - Oct 04, 2010
- In vitro pioneer Robert Edwards awarded the Nobel Prize for Medicine - Oct 05, 2010
- IVF Pioneer Robert Edwards Wins Noble Prize For Medicine - Oct 04, 2010
- Vatican official slams committee for awarding Nobel Prize to IVF pioneer Carrasco - Oct 05, 2010
- Infertile women can still conceive - Feb 21, 2012
- Stress, hectic lifestyle raises IVF demand - Sep 03, 2011
- 750 British women pregnant through IVF had abortions - Jun 26, 2011
- Chinese couple have eight babies using IVF - Dec 19, 2011
- British physiologist wins 2010 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine - Oct 04, 2010
- Hope floats for childless in city of lakes (Health Feature) - Aug 02, 2012
- World's first 'designer baby' next year - Mar 03, 2009
- British fertility device as effective as IVF - Oct 18, 2010
- IVF centres lack counselling facilities: Survey - Oct 13, 2011
- IVF gaining popularity among villagers: Expert - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: assisted conception, bourn hall clinic, british fertility society, doctor patrick, fertility treatment, fertilization ivf, first test tube baby, group medical, infertility clinic, ivf clinic, ivf technique, kochi, launch, louise brown, nobel prize in medicine, patrick steptoe, robert edwards, test tube baby, universal problem, vitro fertilization